News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diesel Engines

Started by gsjcas, May 29, 2009, 05:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

Gentlemen..... When running multiple Engines on a long Freight which one should lead the pack.????? In regard to speed.....Does the fastest one go first or the slowest one.....Looking forward to your response........Same question for 2-6-6-2 Steam Engines......Fastest or Slowest first.????

GlennW

Are you still running DC?
This is one time to switch to DCC.

Try the "faster" or "slower" loco in both directions, to see what makes a difference. The headlight may be making one unit "slower"?

In a DC world, you want to buy your locos in pairs. That way the motors turn with the same RPM for a given voltage setting. The only way to fix dissimilar locos is with DCC. You may also need to check for any burrs in the drivetrain.

With locos of different speeds, take care for all the couplers to be square. One bump and the speedster will be at the other end pushing the train while the other one struggles to move at all.

skipgear

I typically like to run the faster loco in front, keeping tension on the couplers.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

James in FL

Two loco's that are pretty close to speed matched.
We'll call (a) the faster and (b) the slower.
Put (a) on the tracks and add your consist behind her.
Now put (b) on the tracks ahead of (a) w/consist and see which is now the fastest.
If still (a), then leave her on the point trailed by (b).
If (b) is now faster than (a) w/consist then put (b) on the point.

Here's my logic...With (a) on the point...

If (a) w/consist is faster than (b), then (a) has not only the consist to drag, but also the slower (b). That's a lot of weight. The plus is the couplers remain tight.
If the consist does not have enough cars to slow it ((a)) enough to a speed slower than (b), the locos will be much closer to running the same speed. Not too much weight to pull. Couplers still pulled tight.

If the consist does have enough cars to make (a) w/consist slower than (b), putting (b) on the point will make (b) pull (a) and the consist. Couplers still tight.
With (b) on the point at least (a) is getting a little "help" rather than pulling the entire load.
(b) will be slightly "straining" also, but not to the extent that (a) would be "straining" if the position were reversed.

The load dynamic will have changed with the positioning of the locos.

The object is two-fold... keep the couplers tight (no slack), thereby reducing unexpected uncoupling, bucking, and breakaways and the second, to keep any engine from running excessively hot.

This is what I do and it works well for me.
Try this for yourself and see if you're happy with the results.

Remember this is model railroading... there are no rules cast in stone.
The "rule" is whatever works best for you on your layout.

Your mileage may vary.

gsjcas

Gentlemen.....Thank you for your input.....You were all very helpful.....Trainmangs

PRRThomas11

I do eakest at the front. I use the strongest ones to push the others at the back.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World"