Main Menu

Questions about the Richmond 4-4-0

Started by Mr. Gumby, March 31, 2007, 01:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Gumby

Hello!
Few Questions:
1. Does it run on DC power? I only have DC  :-\
2. Does run on 18in radius curves? I have an ineter loop with 18in radius curves than needs motive power!
3. Is there sound onboard? If so does work on normal DC power?
Thanks!  :)
Mr. Monty Python Gumby ;D

rikc9

Quote from: Mr. Gumby on March 31, 2007, 01:45:30 PM
Hello!
Few Questions:
1. Does it run on DC power? I only have DC  :-\
2. Does run on 18in radius curves? I have an ineter loop with 18in radius curves than needs motive power!
3. Is there sound onboard? If so does work on normal DC power?
Thanks!
I have one. It might run on DC but you would have to remove the decoder and insert a plug in the decoder jack. Using a thin blade knife, you can lift off the coal load. Do not know for sure. I run mine on DCC.

No idea about minimum radius.

There is no sound.

You might try the Roundhouse 4-4-0 with DCC/sound. I have this one also. It is capable of sound and someone I know runs his on 18 inch radius curves. It has a wireless remote control for the sound when running DC.
You can get a Roundhouse for about $155 on the web. I bought mine from Caboose Hobbies. This engine has a lot of sound capability. Whistle, fire box door, coupling sound, bell, air pressure noise, conductor "All Aboard" etc.
Search also for Model Die Casting 4-4-0 with DCC sound. I know Caboose Hobbies uses the MDC term, not Roundhouse.

rikc9

By the way, the animation is VERY annoying. I almost did not respond.

Mr. Gumby

Sorry about the animation...
:'( :'( :'(
Mr. Monty Python Gumby :'(

ebtnut

The Spectrum 4-4-0 will (barely) pass around an 18" curve.  It appears that the pilot truck might drag a bit on the back of the cylinders, but it will do it.  However, I'd probably stick with 22" curves for better reliability.  Bachmann does provide you with jumpers that you place in the DCC plug in place of the decoder for DC operation.  No sound, though I would expect someone to offer a sound module for this model sometime soon.  I think you can wedge an MDC unit in the tender.

caboose101

Mr. Gumby,

I have had a Spectrum 4-4-0 (Ma&Pa No. 6) for three or four weeks now.

1.  It runs on DC right out of the box.  I don't have DCC either.  There is about a 1 or 2 second delay after you open the throttle before it starts.  I assume this is the time it takes for the decoder to figure out it is running on DC and makes the necessary adjustment.

The units come with jumper plugs you can use instead of the decoder.  You have to take the tender apart, pop out the decoder and insert the jumper plugs.  This is the way the Bachmann Spectrum engines came in their DCC-ready days.  I have not done this yet and don't see any particular need to do so.

2.  The Spectrum 4-4-0 can run well on 18" radius curves.  I say this with some qualification, not because of any wheels binding, but because the pilot truck tends to climb the rails on curves.  It may do this with wider radius as well.

I solved the problem by fabricating a leaf spring between the pivot point on the mounting bar and the top of the truck.  This provides some load on the pilot truck and makes it behave.  The Spectrum 4-6-0 comes with the same pilot truck and has this spring, but for some reason Bachmann did not think it was necessary on the 4-4-0.  It is not on the parts drawing.

In other respects the drivers have the usual lateral play which allows them to track well on tight curves.  For a 4-4-0, this is probably not necessary (short wheel base), but it's there anyway.

Go for it.

Regards,

Bob

rikc9

From what i learned from my Spectrum conversion to sound, a SoundTraxx DSD-090LC light steam decoder would fit in the space occupied by the stock Spectrum decoder. It would plug in where the stock decoder plugs in but you have to solder a 8 pin NMRA plug to the decoder wires. Tony's Trains sells the Spectrum with low cost DCC sound decoder for $249.95. My Spectrum cost $165 including shipping  from Micro Mark and another $65 for a DSD-100LC decoder and speaker a lot of work. Some of the engine and tender details are rather delicate. The decoder is larger than the DSD-090LC. The low cost sound decoder does not have near as many features as the Roundhouse.
If you want the max, Tony's Trains has the Spectrum with premium sound which I think is the Tsunami decoder.
If I knew about Tony's Trains at the time, I would have bought the low cost DCC/sound decoder version.
The Roundhouse with DCC/sound from Caboose Hobbies cost $151.96, plus shipping. It is not quie as pretty as the Spectrum but has a lot of sound features.

rikc9

BaltoOhioRRfan

Mr Gumby and all others:

I've got 3 of the 4-4-0's 2 in B&O 1 in a private road name(Pepsi Cola)

The Bachmann 4-4-0 WILL run on 18 radius even if the track work is the worst in the world. I had poorly laid track for the xmas gardern(first time i did a layout with ballest and all and it came out very bad) Out of all the engines I tried the Bachmann Spec 4-4-0 was the only one to track the inside one correctly with no problem(with a minor mishap with the pilot falling out which was quickly resolved).  The track work was so bad I didnt run trains on it because i used nails(i know now a big no-no) to hold the roadbed foam down and track which created hills in the track.

On the side note, make sure that you click the wires in place, when testing running a Ma. Pa. for a customer yesterday at work I failed to do that and the engine just stopped on the track. couldn't figure it out untill i picked the loco up and the wires were hanging from under it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

robertjohndavis

Rick,

A couple of notes. I put a Tsunami in a 4-4-0. I lowered the Bachmann board and the Tsunami fit fine.

There is no need to solder a plug to the Tsunami.

If you peel back the very end of the plastic wrap where the wires come out of the Tsunami, you will see it is a JST plug. I bought a conversion connector, JST on one end, NMRA pin on the other, and the Tsunami plugged right in. No soldering.

Rob

Quote from: rikc9 on March 31, 2007, 10:08:36 PM
From what i learned from my Spectrum conversion to sound, a SoundTraxx DSD-090LC light steam decoder would fit in the space occupied by the stock Spectrum decoder. It would plug in where the stock decoder plugs in but you have to solder a 8 pin NMRA plug to the decoder wires. Tony's Trains sells the Spectrum with low cost DCC sound decoder for $249.95. My Spectrum cost $165 including shipping  from Micro Mark and another $65 for a DSD-100LC decoder and speaker a lot of work. Some of the engine and tender details are rather delicate. The decoder is larger than the DSD-090LC. The low cost sound decoder does not have near as many features as the Roundhouse.
If you want the max, Tony's Trains has the Spectrum with premium sound which I think is the Tsunami decoder.
If I knew about Tony's Trains at the time, I would have bought the low cost DCC/sound decoder version.
The Roundhouse with DCC/sound from Caboose Hobbies cost $151.96, plus shipping. It is not quie as pretty as the Spectrum but has a lot of sound features.

rikc9

rikc9

Quote from: robertjohndavis on April 03, 2007, 10:22:30 AM
Rick,

A couple of notes. I put a Tsunami in a 4-4-0. I lowered the Bachmann board and the Tsunami fit fine.

There is no need to solder a plug to the Tsunami.

If you peel back the very end of the plastic wrap where the wires come out of the Tsunami, you will see it is a JST plug. I bought a conversion connector, JST on one end, NMRA pin on the other, and the Tsunami plugged right in. No soldering.

Rob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went with the DSD-100LC (Tony's Trains) as they were $40, (DSD-090LC a few dollars more)  at a train show nearby. Speaker was $5.00. I am happy witht the features. The 090 has sync capabilities also.
Economy drove me as I have some old time 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s that will have DCC sound also.

rikc9

Mr. Gumby

I'm back!
So Let Me get my info straight...
The Richmond 4-4-0 can:
1. Run under DC power due to a dual mode DCC decoder.
2. negotiate a 18inch radius with no concern.
3. be fitted with a sound decoder, but doesnt have one factory built.
I may be going to get one today!
If I'm correct the MSRP is $ 240.00.
My hobbystore has it for $110 less, what a steal! :D
Mr. Monty Python Gumby ;D