News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Like A Bull In A China Shop

Started by treadhead1952, July 09, 2009, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treadhead1952

Hi All,

I am gradually figuring this rail road modeling trip out.  I have gotten to the point of figuring out how the DC electrics work, sort of.  I managed to get a layout built that while it overflows the 40" X 48" plywood board I currently have, a 48" X 48" chunk will hold it quite nicely.  Hopefully when payday strikes tomorrow I will be able to get the necessary plywood and 1" X 4" pine to construct the framework and top to what will be my first layout, ever.

I managed to set up a figure "8" with an added 3/4 outside oval.  There are two areas that are lifted above track level, one for the crossover on the figure "8" and another on what will be the backside or top of the outside oval.  I have also included two of the remote switches on the small side of the figure "8" to access the oval.  I am in the process of figuring out the land and water scapes to fit underneath the track plan.   I do have some experience in using some parts of Woodland Scenics line of products and will be adding a few buildings to the scene mostly from the Fiddlers Green line of buildings.

I spent most of last evening crashing around in the archeives of the Model Railroader website looking at the trackplan database they have to figure out what I could do with what I had in the way of EZ Track.  Aside from admiring a lot of very excellent looking railroads, it did provide me with a few clues as to what I could do.  I will admit to having to go out to the hobbyshop and picking up one more set of 11 3/4" radius curve track to be able to do what I have done, but it does look a lot more interesting than my first workable layout plan.  I have run my Diesel engine around the track a number of times to make sure that it does indeed go over everything without derailing or colliding with anything in the tight spots.

So this is what I have arrived at as far as a layout goes so far.

Stay tuned as I thrash about through the Bachman catalog and Woodland Scenics product line. ;)

Jay
Las Vegas, NV