News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 questions

Started by Michigan Railfan, June 02, 2009, 12:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

1. So, I read somewhere on this forum that it is best to buy trains seperatly, and not in sets, is this true? The only way I could see a difference is if seperate engines run better, and for frieght cars, probably they would have more detail and maybe metal wheels. So, is it better to buy locomotives, rolling stock, track, etc. seperate, or are train sets a better value?
2. Are metal wheels better than plastic wheels? I could think they are maybe because they run smoother and don't pop out of the trucks as much as plastic ones do. I mean, they just seem to turn more freely the the plastic wheels in plastic trucks. So, are metal wheels better than plastic wheels?
3.Do Life-Like's scenemaster knuckle couplers work well with replacing the horn hook couplers on almost all thier rolling stock and locomotives? My friend says they don't work real well with his cars. So, do thier scenemaster couplers replace thier horn hooks good?

jonathan

Indy,

1.  As with everything, you get what you pay for.  Spectrum train sets, while more expensive, contain excellent quality rolling stock, power, and track... far cheaper than if you tried to buy the separate pieces.  I highly recommend them.  Avoid the cheaper sets.  There's a reason they're cheap.  A good set is a great way to start your empire.

2.  Metal wheelsets are far superior to plastic for numerous reasons.  Run a search of this forum to find out why.

3.  I have no experience with lifelike couplers.  However, I am making the switch from plastic to metal couplers.  I just posted a new thread concerning that very topic.

Hope this was helpful.

R,

Jonathan

rustyrails

Three Answers:  
1.  Conventional wisdom has it that you find less expensive, and hence lower quality, cars and locomotives in sets.  Train sets are really not designed for the hobby market.  Having said that, if you buy a set from a company with a reputation of producing only quality items, you may find a deal with a set.  Atlas comes to mind.  The other  advantage of shopping "a la carte" is that you can pick exactly the loco and cars that you want.  If you are buying your first train, talk to the people at your local hobby shop and listen to their advice.  Then buy from them so you won't be embarrased to ask the questions you're going to have.

2.  Metal wheels are generally to be prefered.  They stay cleaner.  Many trucks and wheel sets are made from an engineering plastic called delrin.  It is very slippery and delrin trucks roll very well.  I'd still go with metal wheels....metal wheels on delrin axles with delrin side frames might be best.  About as important as free-rolling is that the trucks be non-magnetic.

3.  Couplers are a whole topic unto themselves.  I suggest that you visit www.kadee.com.  Kadee invented the magnetic knuckle coupler and its web site should answer most of your coupler questions.  Check out their wheel sets while you're there.  They are excellent.

Hope this helps.
Rusty

Guilford Guy

Atlas and Bachmann Spectrum make the better sets. The others, such as Bachmann Standard, Model Power, and Life Like are lower quality introductory sets.

Metal wheels stay much cleaner, roll better, and do not carry dirt around the layout. My friend had lots of problems with dirty track before we eliminated the plastic wheels on all his cars. Now the rails are only cleaned every few months, and the trains run pretty much flawlessly.

I'd shy away from plastic couplers, and I believe the scene master ones are for truck mounted couplers. Snip off the truck mounted coupler box, buy some Kadee #5s, and glue or screw a Kadee coupler box with Kadee coupler to the underframe.
Alex

Pacific Northern

While checking out the on-line model railroad outlets I came across an exceptional deal.

For not much more than the price of the locomotive I got one of the Spectrum sets, it same with  3 Heavy Weight passenger cars, a set of 22" n/s track and a power pack. The engine was the Spectrum DCC equipped 2-8-0.

I am trying to find a few more of these Spectrum engines to keep for a rainy day as it appears they are being phased out. These engines are tremendous little pullers, street price is actually quite modest. 
Pacific Northern

OkieRick

Train sets vs. locos & rolling stock.
It's your $$.  Locos and rolling stock offer a bigger assortment of mix and match.

Metal vs plastic wheels.
Metal for sure as you can afford it.  I have several older cars I'm changing to metal wheels.

Scenemaster knuclke couplers.

Like these?

They'll save you a lot of $$ over Kadee and they work well for me,  E-Z Mate 25 pack is another alternative.  Most will tell you go Kadee.  Try one of these first then go Kadee.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tylerf

Yeah, I've been complained and whined to countless times that not all my couplers are kadees. I agree that they are worth the cost but I don't care to replace my plastic factory couplers until they start causing issues. Especially the newer athearn rtr with scale mchenrys, Im in no hurry to replace those. But really until your running trains over 15 or so cars plastic seems to hold up well.

pdlethbridge

If you notice how the coupler is sprung to keep it centered, you'll also see why Kadees are so much better. The springs which are a part of the coupler are so thick, they reduce the cars ability to go around sharp turns. I replaced couplers on my brothers ambroid passenger cars from the mchenry to kadee for this very reason. They would not allow the 60 foot car to go around my 22" radius curves. Switching back to Kadees allowed the coupler to swing better on curves. Their springs are very thin.

Santa Fe buff

Those Life-Like Scene Master couplers only work to replace Life-Like cars with the horn-hook style couplers. They are okay. I recommend to stay away from standard Life-Like, it sucks. Proto 1000 and 2000 is very fair and good.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jward

in addition to the sets mentioned as quality, i'd add model power's metal train. good solid locomotives and cars.

metal wheels? i prefer them. cleaner running, and they sound great running around the layout. but converting can be expensive. all metal wheels are not created equal. i'd stay away from the ones with thin plastic axles, these can bend and cause your wheelsets to wobble.

couplers. i will usually use the ones that came with the cars, as long as they are kadee compatable knuckle couplers. if i have to replace couplers, i only buy kadee. they were the first, and still the best. the durability of metal parts is second to none. but like wheelsets, they can be expensive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

The only problem I can see with knuckle couplers is if they simple don't want couple. Hook-horns are almost guaranteed to get tangled up with another some way or another. :D

Good luck,

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

Couplers don't do too well coupling on curves.  Sometimes the real ones have trouble too.  Make sure that your couplers are well lubricated--a poof of powdered graphite is just right.  The coupler should move easily to the side but snap back to the center.  There is a mold parting line across the middle of the jaw of Kadee couplers.  A couple of easy strokes with a fine file will help reduce friction when two couplers are trying to mate.  In any event, you are absolutely correct....anything is better than horn-hook couplers.
Rusty

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 02, 2009, 03:39:50 PM
Atlas and Bachmann Spectrum make the better sets. The others, such as Bachmann Standard, Model Power, and Life Like are lower quality introductory sets.

That's true, those are very good brands, and I also think Athearn is pretty good.
Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 02, 2009, 06:54:35 PM
While checking out the on-line model railroad outlets I came across an exceptional deal.

For not much more than the price of the locomotive I got one of the Spectrum sets, it same with  3 Heavy Weight passenger cars, a set of 22" n/s track and a power pack. The engine was the Spectrum DCC equipped 2-8-0.

I am trying to find a few more of these Spectrum engines to keep for a rainy day as it appears they are being phased out. These engines are tremendous little pullers, street price is actually quite modest. 

That's an amazing deal, and the set you are talking about is Bachmann's Explorer set. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ has very good deals on everything they have. Heres the link to the Explorers:http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp
Quote from: OkieRick on June 02, 2009, 10:46:02 PM

Like these?

They'll save you a lot of $$ over Kadee and they work well for me,  E-Z Mate 25 pack is another alternative.  Most will tell you go Kadee.  Try one of these first then go Kadee.
Yup, those exact ones.

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 03, 2009, 12:08:46 AM
Those Life-Like Scene Master couplers only work to replace Life-Like cars with the horn-hook style couplers. They are okay. I recommend to stay away from standard Life-Like, it sucks. Proto 1000 and 2000 is very fair and good.

Cheers,
Joshua
Yeah, now I know to stay away from Life-Like, but all the sets I have were from when I was young, and didnt care about quality, or they were gifts. But, I might as well just change the couplers anyway, maybe use the cars in sidings sitting idle, or use 'em for a scrap yard.

Quote from: jward on June 03, 2009, 09:58:09 AM
in addition to the sets mentioned as quality, i'd add model power's metal train. good solid locomotives and cars.

I agree. I have a tank car from Model Power, and the detail is excellent. Good quality brand, but ya know what I don't get? If I'm not mistaken, Life-Like is made by Walthers. Am I correct? If I am, why would Walthers make a crappy brand? Maybe something more affordable?

jward

a few years back almost all trains sets had crappy equipment. then most of the manufacturers upgraded the cars and engines. for some reason, lifelike  never upgraded the trainsets. their upgraded stuff was sold under the proto1000 & proto2000 brands. walthers bought lifelike a few years ago and continued to put the sets out. btw, walthers also makes trainline sets which are much better quality.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tylerf

Life like was one of the many companys walthers owns I believe, and life life standard is definetly very low basic quality, not for modellers but mainly young kids just getting into trains. I remeber getting a life like kit for my birthday a long time ago an I loved it, but over time my standards went way up, but there's no doubt that life like has it's place as begginer sets that impress the kids and parents don't get their wallets emptied.