Help anyone? 0-4-0 Porter Max Grade with three side dump cars a Min radius.

Started by mudzuks, June 03, 2009, 01:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudzuks

Hi, I am finally going to get into On30  I'm going to build a small 32 inch by 48 inch layout, not stuck to that size but I have a nice discarded table top just dying to have a layout built on it, any way I want to do a sort of "rabbit style" layout in a sort of cartoonish" mining theme, I really like the little 0-4-0 porter and the 3 car set of side dump cars, the amount of track I lay depends on the minimum radius I can run it smoothly at with these cars and the max grade with out wheel spin I plan on running this train as slow as it will run smoothly. any info from folks who have these same loco's and cars would be really great.

Thanks
Jeff

jestor

I'm not sure what a "rabbit style" layout is. The little porter can negotiate some really sharp curves; I've read about 9" radius, but I think 12" radius would be more reasonable if you intend to pull only the short cars. The Porter's tractive effort isn't much, given it's light weight. So I wouldn't recommend any grade over say 3 per cent; less if possible.  You might consider the little inside frame 4-4-0 instead. It's not much bigger than a Porter, but runs much more reliably with it's tender pickups (and it's DCC on Board). It'll negotiate 15" radius, maybe less. 

mudzuks

Thanks Jester, The layout I want to build will be a little cartoonish, it will have a lot of curves and tunnels the little loco will pop in and out of the tunnels like a rabbit in and out of holes, some times referd to as a "Rabbit" layout. the photos listed below show some examples

http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page67a/exec3.jpg
http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page85b/rabbit.jpg

jeff

jestor

A quick check of my usual on line shops didn't turn up any 0-4-0 Porters. It seems the later 0-4-2 Porter is the only one they have available, since the 0-4-0 has been out of production for quite a while. Unless you already have one, the 0-4-0 Porter appears to be getting hard to find. The 0-4-2 Porter, because of it's fuel bunker behind the cab, has more coupler swing on curves; so may require a larger radius than the shorter 0-4-0. Suggest you experiment with a piece of flex track to see what the minimum is with your consist.

mudzuks

Thanks again, I have not purchased a loco yet... I wanted to avoid my usual system of buy first test later, frown at results, change plans, rebuild, works but not what I envisioned style of layout building. :P 

Jeff

C.S.R.R. Manager

With the 0-4-0, I can navigate 6" radius, with cars.  And the 0-4-2 can be made into a 0-4-0, if needed.  I'm not sure of the details, but I believe that most of the 0-4-2 runs were more recent than the 0-4-0, and thus most, if not all of the 0-4-0s have a less efficient wiper setup on the wheels.  I know that my 0-4-2 ran better than the 0-4-0s, appearing to have a better motor.

Even the 0-4-2 has been discontinued, so you might want to grab one soon.  Even on Ebay, I'm seeing the numbers shrink, and the prices rise accordingly.

Manager

Tim

Jeff

If you can live with a diesel the Davenport is widely available
and has virtually the same wheel base as the porter and will
operate on the same radii curves.  It is also available with and
without a decoder.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

mudzuks

Thanks all, armed with the info provided I am going to the big train show in Ontario Ca. in the morning I am going to try and find a 0-4-2 due to the better running mentioned, if that is not available I am going to look at the little diesel, I am more of a steam fan but this layout is going to be to entertain the little ones in the family so I am sure the diesel would  work good as well.

Thanks again
Jeff

jpipkin

Jeff,

The later production Porter 0-4-0's and 0-4-2's have identical running gear.  There is no difference in the running characteristics.  If an 0-4-0 has side rods attached with slotted head screws, a plated bell and no builder's plates, it is the older, less desirable version.

Jim

mudzuks

Thanks Jim, That helps I now will look for the 0-4-0 newer version as my first choice sense I really like that little loco I hope I caan find one the I had thought they were still made because I saw them on the products listing

Jeff

jestor

There are a couple porters on the Bay right now that are billed as new old stock. You might check it out. Like 6 days to go.