SD-90 MKT Heritage Unit #1988 compatibility with Lionel manual system??

Started by crimedawg, May 29, 2009, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimedawg

Hello

I want to apologize for my ignorance up front. My 8yr old son and I are just getting into the hobby. We started with a Lionel O-scale manual set with FasTrack layout. I'm curious if the SD-90 MKT Heritage Unit #1988 engine would work on our set? We're from KC and this engine has caught our eye! I call our controls "manual" because it is NOT Lionel's TMCC. Any help would be appreciated. I've searched the Internet far and wide with no "compatibility" results. Thanks in advance and I enjoy the forums.

3rail

Hello Dawg,

The forum is here for your help ask ANY questions that you want.

The MKT unit will work fine on your fasTrack set-up.  The loco needs O-31 curves and the smallest fasTrack curve is O-36.  You will need a transformer around 80-90 watts to run the dual motors.

All Williams locos are conventionally operated no command system is required.  If you want to add that later, you can always do so with 3rd party kits.

Also, unless you have a need to run more than one train on a track or uncouple anywhere on the layout a digital control system is not necessary.  Both major digital systems allow the control of conventional train via the handset.

Regards,

3rail

MB425

I found the Lionel CW-80 transformer (the type that comes in Lionel starter sets) to cause problems with my Williams GP9's horn and bell. There would be quite a delay in the horn and/or bell sounding when using the CW.  I would recommend an MTH Z-1000 as a replacement as this transformer got my sounds working very nicely.

Casey_Jones

Crimedawg

Welcome to the hobby! 

I have Lionel orig Postwar and some current offerings as well as Williams.  Trust me you can not go wrong with the Williams. You can run these trains into the ground! 

I also have Large scale and have had no complaints with the quality and  service from Bachmann.

This is a great forum for asking questions and sharing ideas.

May your trains bring you and your son many happy memories. :)

DominicMazoch

Lionel Transformers

1.  As long as it has 90 watts, most conventional transformers should work.  (Conventional = "manual" in 3R trainspeak!)

2.  I would NOT use the Lionel CW's except on Lionel products.  I have heard problems with them.

3.  Williams will work with TMCC in CONVENTIONAL MODE ONLY.  But you are just starting, so that should not be an issue.

4.  Have same unit!  Love it.  Just run present day freight cars behind it, and you will be like the UP!