News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 2-6-6-2

Started by jerry20, March 31, 2007, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry20

What is the minimum curve radius for the spectrum 2-6-6-2?

Franz T

I have been told it will actually negotiate a 9.75" radius, but I imagine it won't look too good doing it. I have a section with an 11" radius and it has no problems on that branch; but again, it does look very strange on that tight a curve.

Franz T

jerry20

Thank you for you're reply. I have a lot of 9 3/4 curves on my layout,and my 4-8-4 handles them fairly well. (Some of the 2-6-6-2's are getting fairly cheap and I'm tempted to try one although they have a reputatin for not pulling to well.) Any other information on these locomotives would be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Franz T

I picked up an undec. version from Micro Mark about 2 months ago for $107; I believe they still have them. You are right, they are not very good pullers, although they run very smoothly.

Franz T

jerry20

I'm wondering about putting traction tires on this engine.  Are the side rods attached to all of the drivers?  And would Ihave to machine a groove for the tire?

Franz T

The answer to both questions is yes. Only 2 axles of each engine are geared, so the siderods are attached to all three axles to power the idler. And you would have to machine a groove for the tire. All in all, more work than I would want to to.

Franz T