News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An Industry

Started by rustyrails, June 05, 2009, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrails

I just heard that today is "National Donut Day."  That got me thinking and it occurs to me that a commercial (donut) bakery ought to be a good track-side industry.  Loads in would include flour and sugar (covered hoppers), packaging material (box cars), milk and eggs (refers) and yeast (box car).  If the plant has a boiler, there would be the occasional hopper of coal or tank car of fuel oill.  The plant would ship boxed donuts (insulated box cars or refers).  Got to love those industries that receive and/or ship in multiple car types.

The TV news lady says that in Pittsburgh, the Dunkin' Donuts and Crispy Creme stores are giving away free donuts.  Probably the same everywhere.  Enjoy!!

Rusty

jward

for the record, flour was often shipped in airslide style covered hoppers, such as walther has put out. nabisco in east liberty (pittsburgh) used to go through 3 or 4 carloads a day.

another good industry is a brewery. covered hoppers of grain and malt inbound, finished product shipped in insulated boxcars or as concentrate in tank cars.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

I have a Dominos Pizza on my layout - boxcars of bagged flour, reefers of toppings, tankers of Marinara Sauce.  Tongue in cheek for sure, but I like their pizzas.  Thinking of adding a bottling plant - boxcars of empty cans in and full ones out, tankers of syrup, water tower on the roof made from a Diet Coke can, all to honour my favorite accompaniment to pizza and dilutant for stronger imbibables.  (that'll choke up the old spell checker!)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rustyrails

Thousands of gallons of marinara sauce by rail...it boggles the mind.  hehehe

Rusty

Yampa Bob

Most pizza shops today use commercial prepared dough, comes in bags inside large drums. They also don't spin it in the air as shown on TV. They grab a hunk of dough and run it through a press or roller. Every few days they throw out bags of the stuff that is dried out and unusable.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Maybe that is why I like Domino's pizzas - dough made locally every day, stretched by hand whatever way you like it.  But no, they don't spin it in the air - it takes too long.

Doughnuts.  Ah, doughnuts.  I understand today was your National Donut Day, and doughnut shops were giving them away.  No such luck up here.  Oh well, they are not on my diet anyway (but I do manage to sneak one in now and then.)

Just to keep on subject, did anyone load up a large scale hopper with Cheerios and haul them around in honour of Donut Day?

Jim   

grumpy

Jim
According to my information the Tim Horton maple covered donut is acceptable for your diet.
Don

Woody Elmore

Hey Yampa - maybe pizzerias by you use frozen dough but here locally people expect fresh dough that is shaped by hand, along with a sauce that's store made. In the local town (small city) there are 18 Italian restaurants, all competing for business and all claiming they serve the best pizza. There are no Dominos or Pizza Huts.

Do you folks out there have anything approaching a New York Bagel? One bagel shop near where I used to work made onion bialys, which to the uninformed, is a bagel without a hole - delicious with some chive cream cheese.

And just what does this conversation have to do with Bachmann Trains?

Jim Banner

This discussion has lots to do with Bachmann trains if you use one of their hopper cars to deliver doughnut holes to the Baily shops down your way.

I have been speculating on what a doughnut hole factory might look like.  Possibly a tall, skinny building on stilts with a hopper bottom - sort of like an anorexic coal dock.  Top floor, complete with windows, fans, cyclone separators and several stacks, is where the holes are made and the lower floor, with a spout from an old water tank, is where the holes are stored and dropped into waiting hoppers.  A new industry with a very small foot print, it would fit just about anywhere on a layout.  Only problem I can see is if you set it up as an empties in, loads out industry, it will be hard to keep track of which hoppers are loaded and which are not.  After all, as we well know, hoppers full of doughnut holes looks exactly the same as empty hoppers.

Jim

glennk28

For that Domino's plant--if you're working in HO--How about a (or some) of the "Pollock" hot metal cars for transporting sauce--  gj

jettrainfan

Quote from: glennk28 on June 06, 2009, 09:18:29 PM
For that Domino's plant--if you're working in HO--How about a (or some) of the "Pollock" hot metal cars for transporting sauce--  gj

Hmmmmmmm..... Not a bad idea! Actually a creative idea that is perfect ;D ;D ;D! You should make a product like that! Too bad it's not that easy.... :-\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jward

i am fortunate to live in a city with a sizeable italian population, and GOOD family owned pizza shops everywhere. they make their own ingredients, including the sauce. there is no comparison, and i won't touch chain store pizza with a ten foot pole. if you have to spend millions on advertising telling people you have the good stuff, you dont..........
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA