News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More disassembly questions: 2-6-0

Started by blwfish, November 03, 2013, 03:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blwfish

First, I've got the exploded diagram, and yes, I've gone over it carefully.  More than once.  (For the Bach-man: A few more lines on the diagrams would help a LOT. It isn't very obvious how many parts are related to others.)  I've spent at least an hour fiddling around before posting.

I am attempting to kitbash this model into quite different locomotive. In particular, this locomotive has relatively modern piston valves, where as the target has slide valves. I am trying to disassemble the cylinders, and having not too much luck.  The boiler is off, and I've removed the brake cylinders at the rear of the frame - which exposes a screw that simply can't be seen otherwise!  I removed the four obvious screws on the bottom plate (00J01), allowing it to be swiveled away.  I loosened the little circuit board and this leaves the contacts and wiring in tact. With the pony truck and the bottom plate out of the way, I can see the "front plate" of the cylinder saddle (00T02). My problem is that I cannot see how to disengage the cylinders (00C01 and 00C02). It LOOKS like the front plate is being held in place by the cylinder castings, but I don't see how to dislodge the cylinders.  Perhaps they are just a very tight press fit, but it seems more like they're glued in place?  Or are they glued to a projection the lower front of the weight casting? There is a bit of a smear that looks suspiciously like it's a bit of slightly runaway ACC. I guess I could try to just pry then outward from the frame. What is the least damaging way to get the cylinders off of the frame?

As an aside, the air tanks (OOG01) appear to be glued onto (thick) tabs on the frame?

Finally, I've also been unable to get the weight castings apart and removed from the frame. I removed three screws, which is all I can see on the diagram. It still seems pretty much locked in place, as if there's a tab somewhere that has to be released. In fact, it kind of appears from looking at both the diagram and the locomotive that the front plate of the cylinder saddle is captive to the weight castings?  If so perhaps the problem above may be more tractable if I can get the motor/weight/gear assembly disengaged.

Advice?