News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by Fergusfan17, November 04, 2013, 01:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fergusfan17

Hi.
I am Fergusfan17, and I spend most of my time on the Thomas and Freinds thread. However, I had a question and thought that it would be best asked here. Can I run DCC equipped trains on DC track and power? Vice versa?
Thanks so much.

bapguy

If the decoder is a dual mode yes as long as it is set up for DC operation. Running a DC engine on DCC is a no-no as DCC puts out  constant AC to the rails and this will burn out a DC motor.  Joe

richg

You can run a DCC equipped loco on DC also, IF, the loco has a dual mode decoder. IF, a previous owner did not disable the DC option.
The advertising for a DCC equipped loco will usually tell you it runs on DCC and DC, or sometimes called, Analog mode.
Bachmann with onboard DCC are dual mode, but, refer to IF.

When running a DCC loco on DC, you have to turn the control up higher than you do for a DC only loco. The microprocessor on the decoder needs at least 5 volts DC just to wake up and maybe a couple volts more to start moving.

You can only run a DC only loco on DCC if the DCC controller is capable of it. Two or three systems can do this. The Bachmann EZ Command is one that can do this, BUT, the motor will buzz whether moving or sitting still and can be damaged if allowed to sit still with power still to the track the loco sits on.
These controllers stretch the zero bit in the DCC controller and that looks like DC to the DC loco BUT, there is a constant 12 to 14 VAC DCC signal the makes the motor oscillate.

Look at the below link by a former Bachmann contributor. Store this page in Favorites or Bookmarks for future reference. Many are not aware of this issue.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

Rich

richg

A few years ago I used an infra red optical scanner and pin pointed it at the motor brushes. That spot gets quite hot when the armature is not turning.

Rich