News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

stupid question

Started by Rickenbacker 325, June 06, 2009, 12:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Actually, the original MRC system, their Command 2000, also allowed you to run a dc locomotive.

All three Digitrax systems allow you to run a dc locomotive and all three systems can operate alone or with any other Digitrax system.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Rickenbacker 325

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 06, 2009, 05:46:25 PM
Hm, I'm wondering how much extra money and time they would've had to invested to be able to run DC units. Bachmann Standard makes DCC equipped GS4s. BTW, any pix of your layout?

I wanted to get the sound and smoke part of the engine.

P.S. I will take pictures in the morning. Good Night  :)

OkieRick

Pacific Northern said:

The same holds with MRC, only the original Prodigy allowed a DC engine to run on the layout. I will upgrade my DCC system soon and still want to be able to run a DC engine at times. I have a rather large roster of engines and have not added DCC to all of the engines."

I also have a lot of DC locomotives, too many to be converted to DCC (and some not good candidates).  I hope to have room to have a DC track or two located somewhere along side or inside the DCC layout.  I'm still trying to get the bottom layer of 1 inch foam cut before I glue it down.  I have lots of time to think about what I'd like to add after I get done with the first 4x8.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jward

it is simple to use a dpdt switch to allow you the option of running either dc or dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 06, 2009, 10:56:06 PM
Actually, the original MRC system, their Command 2000, also allowed you to run a dc locomotive.

All three Digitrax systems allow you to run a dc locomotive and all three systems can operate alone or with any other Digitrax system.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the information.
I want to upgrade, I should say need to upgrade from my E-Z DCC unit. I have reached the point where I need to add a booster to my E-Z unit in order to run more engines, but besides more power I want to be able to read and right CV's and I still want to be able to run DC engines, should I want to.  So, Digitrax is the way I willl go. Now to hunt for the cheapest prices..
Pacific Northern

Tim

Pacific Northern

I believe Litchfield Station Has the best price and free shipping.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2450095&cat=23&page=1

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Jim Banner

Northern Pacific, I see you want to read CVs as well as write them.  The Digitrax Zephyr and the Digitrax Super Chief will do both.  Their Super Empire Builder will write CVs but not read them.  Write only is just fine as long as things go right but if anything goes wrong, being able to read CVs is a valuable diagnostic tool.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.