News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

drybrushing

Started by Daylight4449, June 08, 2009, 03:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

has anyone tried drybrushing as a form of weathering?

I know that conrail kept their diesels in poor shape so when i bought a conrail gp40, I drybushed black on it (SIlver oin the trucks) and it worked great. It mad a great effect. also, i changed the rear light to a red led and added a brass snowplow mad from a sliver of tubing.

but really, has anyone tried drybrushing?

rustyrails

Yup.  Moderation in all things except with dry brushing where less really is better.  It can really make detail pop out.  Keep having fun!
Rusty

Tylerf

From what I've seen drybrushing is a very popular teqnique, next to powders then airbrush. Model railroader has many how to's for drybrushing freight cars and diesels. I like the realism drybrushing does for rust the best. But Im curious as to how drybrushing black onto the roof would be like, compared to how as nice thick application of black powders to a roof which looks amazing.

Daylight4449

I used drybrushing because i have no idea what powder to use.

Tylerf

Oh well that's easy, all I do is go to a craft store and get sticks of chalk but not kid kind, the special art ones. Then just scrape the stick with a hobby knife to create a powder. But you can also buy little containers of powders from hobby stores that have specially designed rust and other grime colors but their company name escapes me.

CNE Runner

Dry brushing is an artform unto it's own. Personally I have never been very proficient with this weathering technique. I have seen craftsman dry brush box cars to bring out the nuances of outside lighting...truly amazing! I have been more successful (read: comfortable) with washes and powders. Dr. Ben sells several kits of weathering powders - ranging from two or three choices to a kit of 20+.

The major problem with washes and powders (in addition to putting on too much...a common sin) is that they don't respond well to frequent handling. If you frequently moved your motive power and rolling stock to and from your layout; you may want to try something like dry brushing - using rather inexpensive acrylic craft paints.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

I prefer drybrushing to any other method.  I feel more in control of the affect.

R,

J

WoundedBear

It is indeed both effective and controllable.

When I paint things like this Woodland Scenics tractor, I first heavily coat the model with black and/or red primer. Once that is dry I build up the body color slowly, The shiny surfaces of the tracks and other edges are drybrushed as well. Then you go back and detail paint a few items like the seat and winch etc.

By using this technique, you wind up with deep shadows and an aged look.

Sid

sparkyjay31

My wife is the artist, and all her weathering is done via the drybrush.  And you cannot go wrong with $1.00 acrylics and a $0.50 brush...
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

CNE Runner

Sid, I have to hand it to you...that traxcavator (I ran one of these during a summer vacation when I was in college...no, it wasn't wood powered.) came out extremely well. Honestly, with a little background help from Photoshop, it would pass for the real thing! Your picture is the inspiration I needed to explore this interesting scenic effect.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

Out here we call it a "Bulldozer".  You don't want to disturb a bull while he's sleeping, just shove him out of the way.  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Local usage is an interesting thing.  Here we use "bulldozer" to mean a "cat" (as in caterpillar tractor) with a pusher blade.  One with a bucket on front we call a front end loader, no matter if the tractor is conventional, on tracks, or skid steer.  Needless to say, the guys who drive Sid's two machines are known as "cat skinners," I suppose analogous to "mule skinner."  Neither of these these has to be as quick and agile as a "bull skinner," especially if the bull wakes up.

Jim

p.s. to Sid - great work.  An inspiration to the rest of us.

J
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r0bert

this one was drybrushed.

WoundedBear

Thank you for the compliments on that little tractor. I'll post a few of the log-skidder I'm building at the moment.

I know a few people are intimidated by those white metal kits, but with a bit of time and patience, they detail out quite nicely.

BTW....the same technique (dark base/drybrushed color) works really well on figures too.

Sid

Santa Fe buff

r0bert,

The last photo and your signature are strikingly similar! :D

As for drybrushing,
Of course, that's all I can do with my money! ;)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer