News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Interesting scenic feature

Started by Woody Elmore, June 09, 2009, 10:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

Yesterday New York City announced that it was opening up the former NYC High Line in Manhattan as a park. This 30 foot high rail line was built in 1930 to serve factories along Manhattan's west side. Many warehouses had doors that opened up onto the line. It was built to get rail traffic out of the street.

It has been abandoned since 1980 and now the City has made the lower end a park. People will be able to walk, bicycle or roller skate on the roadbed. The rails are still in place - they are being covered over.

This abandoned rail line would make a very interesting scenic feature on a model railroad, especially one with a city theme.

As a youth I remember diesel switchers moving reefers. The lower end the line serviced many meat packers. The northern terminus was the big yard at 72nd street - which is also abandoned.

ALCOS4EVER

The "High Line" was recently mentioned on an episode of "Life After People" on the History Channel. They said it has become almost completely overgrown with weeds, bushes and small trees. It also has a lot of birds and small animals living on it. You can barely see the tracks anymore. This would definitely make an interesting contrast on an urban layout.

Woody Elmore

There are apparently 130  species of flora growing on the High Line (I guess they count knee high weeds as flora.) The city has banned dogs and smoking on the High Line. The Mayor allows people to breathe, talk and walk.

Incidentally, the high line continued north past the big Manhattan yards. There were meat wholesalers up on 125th street and the warehouses had doors that opened to elevated trackage. I'm not sure if that part of the High Line still stands as many of the meat dealers moved to the Bronx years ago. There has been an ongoing turf was as to who ones the property. Some guy named Trump keeps trying to buy all the west side Manhattan real estate.

I think that the lower Manhattan warehouses would make great models with the loading doors on a second story. It's an excuse to add a little elevated trackage and some interesting switching moves.

CNE Runner

Another interesting aspect of NYC's decision to 'reuse' the high line is that it is preserved for possible future activation. All too often rail lines are torn up and the right of way sold - never to be considered as a transportation alternative again. I understand New York State has formed a 'Rail Bank' and has legislated that all abandoned railroad lines be deeded to the State and the track left in situ...forward thinking from the Empire State. It would be a relatively easy procedure to transform a ex rail line cum walking trail back into a viable railroad should the need arise.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

john tricarico

hi woody

the first part of the old n.y.c. highline opened yesterday
the rest will be opened by years end

from what i use to see from all the parts of it they did
not leave any of the old NEW YORK CENTRAL name
that was still visible on the main beams

when i get a chance ill get over there and get some pictures

by the way  theres not much left of the old meat packing
companies in the area

john t  brooklyn ny

Woody Elmore

Let me correct something - the High Line did end at the big yard . The stuff north of there was part of the long abandoned Putnam Line which went to Yonkers. My college was near Van Cortland Park and the Putnam Line trackage, which ran through the park, could be seen from some classrooms. The highlight of my Senior Ethics class was  to sit by a window and wait for the daily run of an RS-3, a 19000 series caboose and several cars on their way to Yonkers!

The city planted most of the plants on the new High Line Park. They are not weeds.

As for the NYC name, I recall seeing the old oval herald cast into the side of the structure at several places.

I understand that CSX has the right to use NYC reporting marks and Norfolk Southern inherited PRR.

boomertom

Absolutely correct Woody. New York Central is a "trademark" of CSX.

NorfolkSouthern did get the old PRR which is ironic as PRR once owned a controlling interest in the Norfolk and  Western.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)