On30 Rio Grande/Rio Grande Southern Long Caboose

Started by Bob Browing, June 10, 2009, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Browing

Does Bachmann intend to bring out a D&RGW/RGS "Long Caboose"?

C.S.R.R. Manager

Bachmann never states their intentions, so we don't know anything until an official announcement is made.  But a long caboose is certainly something I would be interested in.  Not that I don't have enough cabeese already...

Manager

finderskeepers

Highly unlikely, as San Juan Car Company already makes these in both kit form and RTR versions.  Bachmann is better served working on tooling for rolling stock that is not currently being produced (like a heisler....)

jestor

As the Manager states, Bachmann likes their industrial secrets, but I doubt that they are afraid of competition from other manufacturers. I suspect that Bachmann could produce a long caboose of equal quality at a better price point. I would certainly welcome one. Since San Juan rolling stock requires a 34" radius, it seems like there is a need for Bachmann to step up and produce a long caboose for the rest of us.

mmiller

ya...I doubt there is much cross over between San Juan customers and Bachmann customers...as far as freight cars and cabooses go anyway

that being said, I think we're more likely to see little green man landing on the White House lawn than seeing Bachmann build anything else that 'originated' in Colorado  ;)
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

If I had a vote,  and a say,   I would love to see Bachmann take their large scale caboose and shrink it down to On30 size.   They did it the reverse way with the two bay hopper,  and the large scale caboose is dead on for an EBT caboose.
         One of the problems with producing a caboose outside of a set,  is the amount that would be sold.   For most of us,  we would probably by anywhere from 5-10 of any one freight car,  but may only need one or two cabooses.   That in turn forces the manufacturer to price the caboose at a higher price than,  let's say,  a boxcar.  In these days with the economy the way it is,   I cannot see Bachmann doing a caboose,  but I am always ready for a surprise.
        One last thought,  on the aforementioned San Juan caboose.   Yes,  they are offered in On30 but from a review that I read a while back,  they have so much under carriage detail that they require an extrodinary radius unless you are willing to remove some of the factory installed detail parts.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

C.S.R.R. Manager

Personally, I would like to see all of the newer LS freight cars shrunk down to On30, caboose included.  It seems to have been a good idea with the ET&WNC 4-6-0.  Then again, I could just buy the LS versions and wash them in hot water...

Manager.

Woody Elmore

That Rio Grande long caboose is mighty big when parked next to Bachmann rolling stock. THe EBT caboose would also be large. However I think the EBT caboose would be a good seller in On30.

ebtbob

Woody,

You may not be aware,  but Deerfield River has the EBT caboose available in kit form for O scale.   You  are correct,  it is big caboose,  but remember,  it is meant for On3 also,  and the standard On3 freight car is noticeably larger than the Bachmann On30 cars also.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

jestor

I noticed a ON-30 SR&RL type long caboose body kit to fit the Bachmann coach chassis at Micro Mark. Looks good. They didn't mention who makes it. $39.95.

Tim

Woody Elmore

Dear ebtbob: I am aware of the Deerfield EBT kit. Somewhere in my many boxes of train stuff I have a Scalecraft On3 EBT caboose. Not too many people know that they made one.  Of course it was released, as Tonto would say, "many moons ago!"

I think that Bachmann needs another caboose and my vote is for the EBT.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Looking back at my previous posting in this thread and my opinion about whether Bachmann would be doing a new caboose,  let me say one thing......"I am plesently surprised!!"
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Peter O

So was I when I saw it at the Hartford show today. Very nice.

Dusten Barefoot

If ya'll go to the General Discussion Board, you can open the catolog and see the cabeese for your selves. They look like SRRL, but more bulky'er.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten