2-6-0 Can I upgrade the drive rods to metal

Started by glenn007, June 10, 2009, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn007

Can I upgrade the drive rods on my 2-6-0 Annie to metal drive rods like the ones on the Anniversary Edition 81099

Glenn

Barry BBT

Glenn,

Yes, you can upgrade to metal siderods.

Measure the axle center to axle center.  Use metal about .100 to .125 thick,

Plot the dimensions.  The hole for the rod journal should be 7/32", test the dimensions on the axle centers.  A little slop in the rod journals is allowed for us.  Once you have a pair of siderods, mount them on the rod posts, disconnect the motor so the wheels will roll freely.  Rolling the wheels should be free without binds or "lumps".  When this is achieved, remount the motor an start your tests under power.  If you find a significant bind, consider enlarging the rod post journal hole to the next drill size, probably #2 or #1.

Any other problems let me know.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

glenn007

I was kinda hoping I could just buy the upgraded siderods and attach them.There's a bit more detail to the new anniversary edition as opposed to the big hauler Annie.

Glenn

mudzuks

try barry's big trains not sure if he has these you might have to call.

www.barrysbigtrains.com

Mud

CCSII

Hey Mud that's Barry two replies above you!

Barry BBT

Glenn,

There are no metal rods or valve gear available from Bachmann.

I do make them, but they are all hand made as I described and therefore not cheap.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

glenn007

Thanks Barry I appreciate the response. I took the next step and bought an Anniversary edition 2-6-0 today and I am very happy I did! I have a mylocosound sound card comming in and I will use the old 2-6-0 as the guinea pig.Has anyone ever installed a sound card in a 2-6-0...I'm fairly handy but not an electronics expert.My big question is what reed switch to use( I bought some magnetic ones already figuring they're pretty much the same they were cheap) and the best placement for the switch.If anyone has any pics or diagrams that would be cool.

Thanks
Glenn

mudzuks

oops I don't alway read the name of the person that responds

Mud