News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Farewell...

Started by Santa Fe buff, June 18, 2009, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Woody, I was able to access the site. No site is a problem.I have yet to find a site that won't let me in. And I don't have to worry about viruses as they aren't written for linux only windows.

Yampa Bob

I have two - 4 way USB hubs, which will accomodate 8 - 1 or 2 Gig flash drives. Every few days, all my data gets transferred /updated from the HD to the flash drives.

One drive is devoted to railroad information such as PDF files and photos.  If I'm away from home for even a day, like on a trip to Denver, the drives go with me in a small storage case.

Josh, when you get back up, suggest buying a hub and couple of flash drives. Yeah, I know about the monster portable HD, but don't like it all in one basket.

Walmart has PNY 2 gig flash drives for only $10.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

they are well worth the aggravation of loosing all your personal files

Santa Fe buff

I'm here again, and I have a user account. So I'm going to be here! Unfortunately, the computer still is over-reving the fans, and the power situation is resolved. So, I'm not sure if the computer wants to stay in-tack. If this occurs again, just be patient. Unless it's the end for the computer, but I'll tell you guys about it on another computer if it does happen. As for a flashdrive, I already own a 2GB drive from Kingston. I'm considering purchasing an 8GB or even a 16GB drive to back up files and organize files before burning on Discs for perminate backup. So, Discs are another thing I'm planning to purchase if this occurs. I'm questioning another computer. I've recieved an offer, and it's to be heavyly discussed among my parents. I'll check in when I should, but again, this computer was likely a 'bad egg'... Or a waste of $500, depends on how long it will last until re-crashing. As for Trainz Railroad Simulator, I'll give that idea a rest for now. I'd rather have a machine than silly simulators that can threaten the computer. ;)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jettrainfan

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 24, 2009, 10:13:45 PM
I'm here again, and I have a user account. So I'm going to be here! Unfortunately, the computer still is over-reving the fans, and the power situation is resolved. So, I'm not sure if the computer wants to stay in-tack. If this occurs again, just be patient. Unless it's the end for the computer, but I'll tell you guys about it on another computer if it does happen. As for a flashdrive, I already own a 2GB drive from Kingston. I'm considering purchasing an 8GB or even a 16GB drive to back up files and organize files before burning on Discs for perminate backup. So, Discs are another thing I'm planning to purchase if this occurs. I'm questioning another computer. I've recieved an offer, and it's to be heavyly discussed among my parents. I'll check in when I should, but again, this computer was likely a 'bad egg'... Or a waste of $500, depends on how long it will last until re-crashing. As for Trainz Railroad Simulator, I'll give that idea a rest for now. I'd rather have a machine than silly simulators that can threaten the computer. ;)

Joshua

Joshua, as long as you stay, i will wait. I agree on computer versions are not as good as models. They don't destroy software. :P Maybe hardware if you treat or engines bad! :D Hardware soft ware, whats the difference? A LOT!!!! :o :o :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Santa Fe buff

At least we still have some software installed that didn't get beat up by the hardware! :D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Josh,
I'm not sure - are you back up and running again?   One thing to consider is that most public libraries now have computers for patrons to use. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

For now, the computer seems to be fine. So I am up and running for now, but I'm still worried because the fans and computer is still over-revving...  :-\ For now, I'm active, your right, our local library is equipped with many Ethernet computers.

I'm taking advantage of having a running computer for now, I just made my first Walthers order! I tried www.modeltrainstuff.com but the card number didn't work, I'll try again.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

Sorry about the double post...

Update: Although the computer is in operatable state, it seems to have a problem with the fans. For no reason, they are really over-revving, enough to rumble the wooden desk. Dust is pretty much not a problem, it was recently cleaned. Sadly, another problem, it appears my Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006 was damaged, and it doesn't work. The fans don't rev when it's working hard tasks, but both when idling at the log in page, and preforming tasks.

I'm getting worried about this computer, anyone else have heard about problems with this computer?

Link to our computer.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

Most PCs use 12 volt fans that run off the computer's power supply.  These power supplies put out several different voltages, including +12, +5, +3.3, -5 and -12.  It is normally the +12 volt supply that is used for the fans.  I strongly suspect that the over reving you hear is a result of the +12 volt supply being too high in voltage.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Santa Fe buff

Is there a way to correct this?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

You could try opening up the case and running the computer with the case open.  The fan on the CPU should be variable speed.  Follow its wires and make sure the connector is firmly attached to the right header.  It should be marked CPU Fan or words to that effect (magnifying glass and mag light help a lot).  Your computer shouldn't be generating a lot of heat and I doubt that there is a separate case fan.  The power supply fan really isn't user servicable.  You haven't been over clocking have you?  If you think you need a power supply, go to newegg.com and find a unit that matches the specs on yours.  Are you sure you aren't hearing your optical drive?  Mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner sometimes if there's a disk in it, even if I'm not using it.
Rusty

mf5117

have you ever tried taking the heat sink off the cpu and make sure the cpu heat sink paste isn't dried up . if it is the cpu will run hot . and inturn the the fans will make lots of noise . also try cleaning them . you can buy the paste at radio shack .

rustyrails

If you are not comfortable digging into the innards of your computer, please do not try to remove the CPU heat sink/fan.  The thermal paste can sort of act like glue and firmly attach the heat sink to the CPU.  If you don't know this and aren't prepared, you can damage the CPU.

If you do remove the heat sink/fan, you will then have to carefully clean the heat sink and the CPU before reapplying thermal paste.  Use only a LITTLE paste.  All you're trying to do is fill in the tiny irregularities between the two mating surfaces.  Put a dab on the CPU and use a credit card to smooth it out.  If you have a choice of thermal paste brands, Artic Silver is good.

Rusty