News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout size poll

Started by rustyrails, June 18, 2009, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrails

A  question has come up in another thread about the size of folks' layouts.  If you have an HO layout, or are working on one (you guys in other scales start your own poll), please post and let us all know how big it is.  I'll start.

My layout (currently under construction) is a (more or less) two foot wide around-the-walls shelf that will measure 8X12 feet when finished.  The total layout size (area of the benchwork) is 64 Sq Ft.

I will take it upon myself to tabulate the returns and put the results up here after posting to the thread tails off.  Thanks.
Rusty

Guilford Guy

4x8
I have access to a fairly large basement, but chose the smaller size.
1. I'll be moving out in a couple years, and would like to "finish" it before then.
2. I'd rather have it in a nicer environment (my bedroom) rather than a cold murky basement.
3. I'm a detail person. Its easier to make a very detailed layout (working crossbucks, and a signal system are planned, as well as street lights, interiors, and wired telephone/power lines) when you don't have to purchase as much.
4. I'm on a teen budget. I get money from custom painting, and a bit of allowance, but other than that its a pretty nonexistent income
5. Refer to the above. For operations I need a dozen pieces of freight equipment, 2 or 3 coaches, a caboose, and 2-3 locomotives. This is much easier to accomplish on a small budget. I wouldn't even get to scenery if I had to buy 2 dozen locomotives to operate my railroad. Micro Engineering Track, Scenic Express stuff, and structures/scratchbuilding materials all add up. 32 square feet is more manageable than say... 160 square feet.
Alex

pdlethbridge

64 sq ft. code 83 atlas, Everything including solenoid type switches,  DCC controlled. NCE Power Cab. 6 diesel, 6 steamers. Can operate in 2 different era's.

jettrainfan

8X8 table in  basement. DCC,e-z track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

OkieRick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Pacific Northern

My layout is 8' x 12 with a duck under to the centre control area.

The layout incorporates two rail lines, one a mine and logging operation and the other my mainline serving two towns. 

Engines for the mining/logging line are a shay and a heisler.  For the mainline I usually have a 4-6-0 working the passenger train and a 2-8-0 for the freight and another 4-6-0  working the main yard.

Engine power does vary at times though as I sometimes alternate with  4-4-0's and an
0-8-0 also works the main yard.

I use DCC for the mainline and a DC power unit for the mine/logging line.

Pacific Northern

Tylerf

6 by 9 with 3 levels, a large locomotive facility extension, and two 1 by 8 yard extensions out the north and south sides. Makes for lots of running length in a relatively small space.

WGL

In our finished basement,  I have 3 ovals connected by switches:  42' (22" curves), 39' (22" curves) & 36' (18" curves).  I use DCC with either EZ Command or Digitrax Zephyr.  The outer track has my UP SD40-2 train (for where I live now),  the middle my GN F7A-B passenger train, & the inner my GN Heavy Mikado freight train (the latter 2 for where I used to live).  On sidings, I have a DM&IR 2-10-2 with ore cars & a 4-8-4 with Milwaukee Road mixed passenger & freight.  I also have 2 SD45s.

jward

my current layout project, just getting started, is going to be 4 1/2x 4, with a 2 x 6 extension for a total of 30 sqft. this is only phase one, and extensions are eventually planned that will add maybe another 15 sqft.

previous layout, which i have to find a place to store, is approximately 130 sqft. it was originally built by my grandfather over 50 years ago. i was well underway with restoring it when divorce and catastrophic injury got in the way.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Atlantic Central

My layout, currently being "rebuilt" from a previous version, is a double deck, around the walls affair with a penisula down the center of the room.

The following stats are based on the planed layout when completed:

Sq ft of bench work - aprox 500 sq ft
actual length of mainline run - 485' - double track continuous
size of room - 22 x 40
minimum radius - 36"
maximum grade - 1.8%
min mainline turnout - #6
main stagging yard - 12 tracks - 20' long
main freight yard - 7 tracks - 25' long
control system - DC Aristo Craft wireless throttles
turnout controls - mainline - slow motion machines with local and dispatcher panel control - all others homemade ground throws
other features - detection and signaling
No sound

Branch line - single track mainline loop w/stagging - 180' run
other freatures - 4 track thru passenger terminal, engine terminal w/turntable, industrial trackage

The rebuild currently under way is to improve access, and make the railroad into "moveable" sections for the future. A recent decission by my wife and I means that may be sooner than originally planed. Our search is under way for our retirement home. It may actually have more layout room than I have now. Our current home is a 110 year old Queen Anne Victorian, its basement is totally unusable for model trains. My current layout is above my detached garage/workshop. While our retirement home will be smaller than the current house, it is likely to have a basement larger than my current layout space.

Sheldon

BestSnowman

I've got a 4x8 that I plan to eventually grow to much bigger but need to buy a house first (currently renting) so it will be 4x8 for a while so i can keep it mobile for when I move it next. Currently powered by EZ-Command DCC (though I eventually plan to switch to computer control in the future).
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

I think I am going to have one of PD's headaches.  I did some measuring and ended up with 353 square feet of layout in two rooms that total 376 square feet.

The reason for the 94% fill factor is simply that it is a multi level layout.  Some places have two levels.  Some places have hidden yards under them.  And a few places have a hidden yard under two levels of layout.  If you flattened everything out and put things side by side, the layout would take up well over 400 square feet because of the trackage in helices.  I counted the helices only once, even though one them is two separate lines with different start and end points and one of those lines is double tracked, and another helix is a twin or double helix with the rail line doing a figure 8 and 1-1/2 ovals between them.  Yeah, I know, model railroading gone wild.  Wilder still is that there is a small branch line threaded through that double helix and a hidden yard under it.  That nightmare took the better part of two years to design and build, which helps explain why my twenty-five year old layout is still under construction.  Incidentally, it was originally designed as a 4' x 10' when I first started on it in 1984.  It just kept on growing.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rustyrails

Jim, your layout is like WVa.  If you flattened it out, it'd be bigger than Texas.
Rusty

jonathan

Rusty,
Thanks for taking this on.  You beat me to the punch.

I did some measuring to make sure.  Benchwork surface area is 120 feet, around the walls layout in a 21'X24' garage.  Total trackage is about 325 feet.

Jim,
BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed your club website.  Do post current stuff on your personal layout anywhere?  looks like everything on the club site is from 2001, or maybe I wasn't paying attention.  Would love to see some contruction pics.

WGL,

can't get an idea of your layout from your post.  Can you give benchwork  area or room size?

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

Quote from: rustyrails on June 19, 2009, 06:19:02 PM
Jim, your layout is like WVa.  If you flattened it out, it'd be bigger than Texas.
Rusty
and probably alot more beautiful than texas, as well....lol
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA