News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout size poll

Started by rustyrails, June 18, 2009, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Rusty, that's a great idea. Go for it! :) :) :) :) :)

PaulDeS

My laayout is 5.5x8 feet. Since it is setup in the laundry room part of a finished basement I made the 4x8 foot section so that it folds up into the wall space and is out of the way. It's two ovals with crossovers and plenty of sidings to park engines and loads on the stationary section. Since I had a number of older (15 to 20 yrs) engines which are DC I arranged power so that I run either DCC or DC. DC operation is mainly when the grandkids come over and insist on running the trains.

I have 3 steamers and one diesel (all Bachmann with DCC) and one DC trolley which runs down the middle of the main street in town. The trolley automatically stops and reverses via Circuitron circuits.

pAUL

CNE Runner

The Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR is basically a 30"x 12' shelf layout. The gauge is HO and the track plan is loosly based on John Armstrong's 'Timesaver' puzzle. The era modeled is Fall (harvest time) 1889. All trackwork is Peco Code 75. All turnouts are manually operated (keeps me in character). The operating system is DCC. Currently there are two Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s and probably 40+ period cars from Bachmann, Roundhouse, Pocher and Mantua (all cars are rebuilt and redecorated/weathered). All structures are of the craftsman (wood) type and decorated for the time period.

I sure wish I had a large layout like some of you folks operate. Unfortunately basements are rare in Alabama. We have to make due with part of a 10'x 10' ex-guestroom. Ah, the sacrifices we make...

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mf5117

Alot of nice sounding layouts .

How many of you are satisfied with the ovals most of us have . on a 4x8 or 5x9 ft layout size . And how much of the round-a-round can you stand . And what did you do to change up . the layout

It's tough being short on space . 

jward

to answer your questions.

1. i try not to build an oval layout unless i have to for space reasons.

2. if i have to build an oval, i try to add industrial spurs and a small yard.

3. i do not let lack of space keep me from having a layout. it is amazing what you can do in a 4x8 in N scale. but even in HO, you can make the most of your space if you are willing to add grades and a second tier of track. for examples of what i am talking about, look at some of the plans in the atlas layout books.

4. round & round is boring. unfortunately, it is what most think of as model railroading when they first get into this hobby. this hobby is so much more than a train set oval.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: OkieRick on June 18, 2009, 11:18:33 PM
4x8 in bedroom, DCC

Rick

Same here... We're two-of-a-kind! :)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

mf5117

On a 5x9 layout . I have a 22"  outter 18" inner radius . kind of a dog bone . control side has straight main line to the 22 " and 18 " radius .other side of the layout has what i call . The other half of the dog bone . I do have turnouts to industry and a point to point on the inside of the layout for a trolley . An upper level 18" radius with 2 standard turnouts making up a half oval  .  I do like the fact that i can run my trains in either direction .on both radius . And work the 70ton switcher in the yard .run the plymoth a little bit .   And challenge myself working the switches so I dont have a crash .

I just want so much more and at times . I get bored . And often think ,what about n scale as you said mr ward . But I have so much invested in the HO scale . It's bad going from O to HO and now pondering n what am i thinking . hmmmmm

jward

as an example of what you can do in 5x9 in HO:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10028.htm
this layout, granite gorge & northern, has a double track main with two reversing connections between the mains, and a small yard. and yet, there are no reversing loops so wiring is simple.....this plan can also be modified to add more industries, and has many scenic possibilities.....

http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10023.htm
this layout has several industries, a yard, a double track mainline, and a branchline, all in about  5 1/2x8. it is a bit cramped, but still workable.....

http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10015.htm
this layout is designed for 4x7, but expanding it to 5x9 would allow you to use 24" radius curves, add a small yard, and a few more industrial spurs.

these plans are quoted as examples only. if you are interested in any of them, they appear in layout plan books by atlas, along with lists of materials used, and in the case of the granite gorrge & northern, complete dimensions and instructions for construction......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Having too little space can be overcome by creative design. Check out my earlier post on this forum:

Another interesting, and inspiring, website deals with Shunting (Switching) Puzzles and some suggested track plans:

I hope these suggested sites are of assistance to those of you who find themselves 'dimensionally challenged'.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

lwmlwm44

I see where Rusty gave his definition of a nolix.   I was told a nolix is nothing more than a helix that has been stretched out.  As a rule a helix is round shape going from a lower level to a higher one.a large spiral coil.

I have stretched the helix out so that ist is a series of ramps going from a lower level to a higher one.....some parts of it hidden in mountains and over half of it actually on view on the bench.  Some of my ramps run 12 feet long.  2 tracks running side by side for the trip up and the trip back down.

I had planned on building a traditional round helix design but came up with this shape and a friend of mine from FLorida informed me it was a nolix.

Larry

Ken Huck

8X12 Basement, U-shaped, 2-cab DC.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4571/mvc006s.jpg

SLOW...under construction.

Nice poll subject.

Ken

Joe Satnik

Dear Ken,

Great looking scenery, track and weathering.  More pics please. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Ken Huck

Thanks Joe, I'll get on it.  Might be a few days though.
Meanwhile, here's a 'teaser'.

Woodland Scenics, "Moonshine Still"
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9836/huckmoonshine.jpg

pdlethbridge