Pennsy Hudson or Northern wanted!

Started by Dr EMD, April 01, 2007, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr EMD

I am looking for photos of the PRR (4-6-4) P-6, and (4-8-4) R-2.

I have photos of the PRR GG-2 (4-8-8-4) that were diverted from ALCO from a UP order to be used on Horseshoe Curve. They barely fit in some of the tunnels in that area.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

RAM

you can put pain railroad on what every locomotive you would like.  Just don't wait for some company to do it for you.

scottychaos

Quote from: Dr EMD on April 01, 2007, 10:22:25 PM
I am looking for photos of the PRR (4-6-4) P-6, and (4-8-4) R-2.

I have photos of the PRR GG-2 (4-8-8-4) that were diverted from ALCO from a UP order to be used on Horseshoe Curve. They barely fit in some of the tunnels in that area.

well..you are going to have a lot of problems finding photos of these three types of engines..considering they NEVER existed!  ;) ;D

wow..very interesting..where did you find this information?
you must have been looking at someones PRR "fantasy" layout..

PRR never owned a single Hudson.
they ran passenger trains with the largest and most modern fleet of 4-6-2 Pacifics ever assembled.

"GG-2 (4-8-8-4) that were diverted from ALCO from a UP order to be used on Horseshoe Curve. They barely fit in some of the tunnels in that area." 
total fiction..
PRR never had any 4-8-8-4's either.
they did have a few 2-8-8-2's second-hand from N&W.

and the third one "PRR R-2 class 4-8-4"..also pure fiction..
PRR had some massive 4-8-2's, but no 4-8-4's..

There is no such thing as a PRR P-6 class..or a PRR 4-6-4 steam engine.
There is no such thing as a PRR GG-2 class..or a PRR 4-8-8-4 steam engine.
There is no such thing as a PRR R-2 class..or a PRR 4-8-4 steam engine.

im really curious..where did you see this info??

Scot

David Leonard

It's interesting that some of the model designations would probably have been correct for these fantasy steam locos. The 4-6-4 electrics went up to P5, and the 4-8-4 electric was an R1. But the Big Boy would not have been a GG2 (two 4-6-0's back-to-back.)  A Challenger could have been a GG2. Pennsy never had any 4-8-0's, so it's anyone's guess as to what a 4-8-8-4 (electric or steam) would have been called. U, V, W, X, Y and Z are all that's left.

Of course, the original post on this thread appeared on April 1st!

ebtbob

Good Morning all,

I am wondering if the orginiator of this thread may have been the victim of April 1st since he posted on the 1st.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

David Leonard

I suppose that with a name like Dr EMD, the poster may have been easily fooled by Pennsy steam. Although the poster did claim to be in possession of a photo. So, Dr. EMD, are you just trying to pull our legs? If so, you did a good job!

BTW, the Pennsy did indeed test an N&W 2-6-6-4 on Horseshoe Curve, which might account for the origins of the Big Boy myth.

ebtnut

FWIW, the PRR apparently contemplated a 4-8-4, but built the T-1's instead.  They also used a few ex-N&W Y-3's during WWII, so maybe that's where all this started.  I tend towards the April 1st answer, though.

Dr EMD

Opps, I made a boo boo for the GG-2 as it should have been a challenger type and not a Big Boy. :-[

Yes, it was an April Fool joke. The class I used as reference were based on the electric locomotive which use the same class as their steam locomotives. A P type is a 4-C-4 or a 4-6-4 and the R was a 4-D-4 or 4-8-4. :D

Same joke for 2008, let's see how many "born-every-minute" person I can find. ;D

So enjoy the little joke. Meanwhile I have to head down to The Home Depot to pick up a left hand metric hammer.  ::)

Did you know I have Pennsy Power I, II, III in my library?

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Craig

I don't have a Home Depot close by. I wonder what the prices are like; I'm in the market for a left-angle drill.

David Leonard

Dr EMD, maybe next year you can photoshop a PRR Big Boy. It would be interesting to see, what with a keystone numberplate and a long distance tender. My brother has messed around with similar ideas (only he clearly states that they're fantasy!) such as this experimental NYC locomotive:

pdlethbridge

besides testing the N&W 2-6-6-4, they tested the N&W 'J' Now I wonder what a 'J' would look like in Brunswick Green and a belpair firebox? And that NYC loco, after a speed test on the water level route, this happened. The engineer's last word.... Oooopppps

bwreno

Sears' Craftsman does market a metric creasant wrench.

glennk28

Very Good!! I occasionally also ponder that many roads did not have certain types of locos--and what would they have looked like if they did have them. Back when Monogram had the static Big Boy, I bought a couple with the idea of doing a PRR GG-2.  Since it would have been a WPB-diverted loco, it would not have had a Belpaire firebox, and probably would have had a big "Coast-to-Coast" tender riding on 8-wheel Buckeye trucks.  Cab like the PRR "J" class, front end "Pennsified". 

The late John Armstrong had the R-2 on the Canandaigua Southern.--as I recall it looked very Pennsy--he used to kid SPF Ted Stepek about it.

I was trying to sell an old SP AC-9 for a friend--if I had not sold it I was going to add skirts and do it up as a Daylight.  SP had a proposal for an AC-12 with an EMD cab--there's another project. Probably should be done in the 2-tone gray , or UP Yellow & Gray as it would have run on the Overland Route.

I was painting a Lionel loco  in the 2-tone gray UP colors for a friend, and as a gag bought an extra tender shell, which I painted yellow and gray, and had installed when I delivered the loco to him--he almost had a heart attack, then asked me to paint a loco to match.