News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command Question

Started by Jib228, August 02, 2009, 08:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jib228

So for the past year and a half I have been enjoying my EZ Command system, as well as getting back in to model railroading after almost 7 years. EZ Command was my first taste of DCC and I often ask my self, "How did we ever run any thing with out DCC?" Seeing as I started out on a DC layout. I am currently planing a new layout that will be DCC.But I am going with a different DCC control system as I need some thing with a bit more control options.

After running with EZ Command at home on my temporary layout, and running at a local Display with NCE Pro Cabs. I have decided to go with NCE as I can use my controller at home and at the display. A nice thing to have your own controller when several other operators show up and I am left with out a controller.

But I will still use my EZ Command for my holiday tree train.

But I have a few questions:

1. Can I use just the EZ Command controller with the NCE system by plugging them in at the I/O ports allowing some one to use the EZ Command to run while I use the NCE cab? I want to be able have my little brother run trains on my railroad that I am planing, but I think the NCE controller might be a bit much for him to handle, but he knows how to use the EZ Command controller.

2. I dont think it is possible, but Ill ask anyways. If I program a locomotive to its 4 digit display number, can I still select it on the EZ Command controller? Example: I have locomotive 1225 set to address 3 on my EZ Command controller, but when I get my NCE system, I will program it to address 1225. Is there a way to type that in on the EZ Command controller?

Thanks for reading through all that, I know its a lot, and I hope some one can help.

Tim

Jib228

Do not connect both systems to the same track!!

there is a good possibility that you will destroy both systems.

Use a jump throttle with the EZ Command, or add a Cab 04p
to the NCE system.  This way you can control two trains independently.

The cab 04p can be used with all NCE systems.

When you program your loco 1225 a four digit address the 2 digit address remains.
To run the loco with the origonal address you have to re-activate it on the programming track.

The process is explained in the NCE manual.

The easiest way is to add a cab to the NCE system.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Jib228

Thanks Tim.

I was thinking if I set up the NCE system, then used only the I/O cable to connect just the EZ Command controller.

And dont worry, I haven't tried it yet. I ordered the NCE system last week form the hobby shop and should be getting it some time nest weeks.

Jim Banner

The plugs and sockets may look the same but they are not wired the same.  Do not plug your E-Z Command into your NEC or vise versa.

To change your locomotive from its 4 digit address to its two digit address, subtract 32 from the value in CV29.  This can be done in 3 steps - (1) read back CV29 (2) subtract 32 from that number (3) program the new number into CV29.  If your system cannot read back CV values, then subtract 32 from the value you previously programmed into CV29 (I assume you list all values you program into CV's.)

To change your locomotive from its 2 digit address to its four digit address, add 32 to the value in CV29.

This works because the four digit address is stored in CV17 plus CV18 while the two digit address is stored in CV01.  If bit 5 of CV29 is turned on, the four digit address is selected while if bit five is turned off (cleared) the two digit address is selected.  In decimal, turning on bit 5 of CV29 adds 32 to the value otherwise found in CV29 while clearing bit 5 subtracts 32.

Alternately, if your decoders support Advanced Consisting (also know as Decoder Assisted Consisting) then you can put the two digit address into CV19 when you need it and clear CV19 when you want to return to the four digit address.  This is the best way, if the decoder supports Advanced Consisting, because you don't need to mess around with CV29.  Errors in CV29 can causes all kinds of odd problems that you can do without when you are first learning to program CV's.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.