Adding Sound and Transformer?

Started by Teri, June 18, 2009, 08:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teri

I have three Bachmann train sets; the Village Express (HO); the Kinkade Christmas Express (On30)  and the Wonderland Express (On30) What transformer can I get that will control all 3 trains?  Also, how can I add sound to these trains?

uncbob

If you keep a watch on EBAY you might find a used MRC Sound and Power 7000

It has built in Momentum and Sound for both steam and diesel

I have 2 and really like them

I regularly run 2 trains on my 18 and 22 ovals in DC mode

Teri

OK....thanks for the info; I will check out eBay...

Joe Satnik

Dear Teri,

I'm not sure what you are asking for in the "control" department.

1.) A single power pack powerful enough to run 3 locos on 3 different (unconnected) loops?

2.) DC-block, where sections of track are controlled, e.g. sections (electrically) switched "off" or "dead" below 2 engines, with the 3rd engine running around the layout on electrically "live" track?

or the newest

3.) DCC, where all the track is live and receives the same power/signal,  but all engines are individually addressed and independently controlled?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Teri

I'm not going to even pretend to know what I am doing when it comes to model railroading. We built this Christmas village and it has three separate train tracks on it that are independent of each other. I want to add sound to the setup and I would like to be able to control all 3 trains from one control box if that is possible.....

Can anyone help??   

rustyrails

If you want all three trains to run at the same time at the same speed, you could control all three with a good quality power pack.  Model Rectifier Corp. makes excellent power packs.  The wiring would be very simple...connect two wires to a terminal section in each loop, separate the wires into two sets, one wire from each loop in each set.  Twist the loose ends of each group of three together, and attach one bunch of wires to each variable DC terminal (they'll be marked) on the power pack.  Hope this helps.
Rusty
PS I tried to copy a link, but apparently my ISP is having probs and I couldn't verify the link.  I think MRC's web site is at www.modelrectifier.com

Teri

OK...sounds like it won't be too complicated !!  Thanks for your help.  Someone else recommended the MRC 7000; I'll see if I can find one on eBay...

mabloodhound

As for sound, look at one of the MRC older sound systems like http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=7614 or for just city/country sounds http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=1293.
Probably find one cheap on e-bay and this would give you what I think you want.
Dave
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security