dcc decoder installation in bachmann n scale 2-8-0 item #81154

Started by wps, June 22, 2009, 09:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wps

How is the boiler shell removed so that a digitrax decoder can be installed?  Any advise or diagrams will be appreciated.  I have installed them in diesels but not in steam engines....Thanks for any help...

peterh

I hope that this step by step instruction will help. I have used this procedure myself and it worked out ok.
/Peter

TCWORLD

all i can say, do not remove the original wires from the chassis. Its near impossible to solder them back on properly. You can shorten them, just make sure there is a few mm of wire left attached to the chassis.
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

wps

Thanks for the step by step.....This I can do.....again thanks....

skipgear

Quote from: TCWORLD on June 23, 2009, 09:49:36 AM
all i can say, do not remove the original wires from the chassis. Its near impossible to solder them back on properly. You can shorten them, just make sure there is a few mm of wire left attached to the chassis.

HUH????? ???

There are no wires soldered to the chassis on any of the Spectrum N stuff. The wires fit into holes on the chassis which have a friction clip to hold them on.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

TCWORLD

Wow, they have changed it. I had one a couple of years ago and rendered it useless when i tried to fit a decoder, as it had wires soldered to the frame, which in my wisdom i unsoldered, then couldnt re-attach them.
Tom

taz3267

I went to the step by step instructions, which are very nice indeed, you say/show to connect the red and black wires, but this only to supplies power to the decoder, what other wires get connected and where? I know that this may sound ridiculous but I am new to DCC so I do not know about such things,
Thank You.

TCWORLD

Orange and Grey go to the motor. Blue and White go to the front light (blue to blue, white to white)
Tom

taz3267