News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout control

Started by pdlethbridge, June 21, 2009, 01:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Going along with the size would be the method of control.
1 NCE power cab and under layout bus system
1 digitrax auto reverser for polarity control of the turntable
3 digitrax ds-64 for the control of my atlas switch machines using the power cab
1 atlas selector to control the 4 roundhouse storage tracks
The way I'm set up now, I can safely run 2 trains with a second operator. There is only one power district and at most only 3 decoders would be operating at one time and only very briefly. All others would be shut off and in the round house.

rustyrails

Digitrax Zephyr throttle/command station/booster
UT-4 throttle
DT-200 throttle
16 AWG power bus (feeders about every 6 feet, all rail joints soldered, expansion joints jumpered)
LocoNet bus using 6 conductor telco cable/RJ12 connectors to Digitrax panels in the fascia.
Programming track is a siding, function (run/prog) controlled by a DPDT toggle switch.
Turnout control and uncoupling are manual. 

I don't think I'll need it, but if necessary, I have an elderly 5 amp DB100a that I can use if power becomes an issue.

Tylerf

-Digitrax Dcs 100
-Zepher
-6 up5s, loconet plug panels
- a UR90 and a UR91 radio and infrared recievers
-small programming track
- a UT4 utility throttle
-a DT100r
So that's my dcc operations equippment
And all my switches are controlled via tortoises that are not yet equipped with staionary decoders.
I have two power districts

Santa Fe buff

Here we are:

Power control- Bachmann E-Z Commander
Districts- You serious? It's a 4x8!
Switches/Turnouts- Manuel, if I can reach a little over the center from all sides, I'm good!
Boosters- Depends, I'm I that short?
Wiring: I'm thinking on stripping the E-Z track cord so I could use a feeder and bus wire system.
More-than-one-operation: "You get the Thomas track on the floor, and I'll take care of the sanding of the U-Boat." Seriously, I think I'll just keep it solo, or just get an E-Z companion.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jonathan

I'm DC... Is this a separate category?

Two MRC Tech4 dual packs:  operates two main lines, freight yard (4 tracks)and passenger terminal (8 tracks).  Also provides power for 7 switch machines.  Another 8 turnouts are manual (push/pull rods under the benchwork). Can toggle on/off individual yard tracks as needed

Bachmann Spectrum pack that came with my Acela set:  Controls mining loop
and provides AC for lights, etc.

Tyco Pack 1:  Had it for decades; still works.  Operates my transition era loop and AC for lights, etc.

One Kadee under-the-track magnet, in freight yard, for assembling trains.

Can operate up to six trains at once, if I ever wanted to... would need help of one other person to accomplish the feat.  Can run 4 simultaneously by myself

R,  Jonathan

Atlantic Central

Well I use DC as well on my "priviledged" large layout:

Eight Aristo Craft Train Engineer wireless throttles each with its own 3 amp regulated power supply.

Walk around cab control using my own pushbutton cab selector circuit.

Extensive use of X sections (known to some as floating sections) minimises the number of needed cab assignments.

Local tower panels at each mainline interlocking for walk around cab assignments and turnout control and showing block occupancy.

Central dispatcher panel shows block occupancy and can also control all mainline turnouts allowing CTC type operation.

Detection and signaling of all mainline trackage including full working interlocking signals.

For display running 5 mailine trains can run unattended, or they can all be operator controlled for operating sessions. Three additional yard/engine terminal/industrial area trains can be switched at the same time.

Sheldon

Tim

9 yr old NCE Power Pro 5a with 1 pro Cab, 2 dual control digital cabs O4e, and 1 single cab O4p.  1 Soundtraxx PTB-100 and 1 ACER laptop for programming.
14 Tortoise machines, two with Hare decoders set for auto-throw w/timed (30sec) return.
All turnouts in reach are controlled with ground throws.  All turnout positions are shown on track diagram with led's
2 Power-Shield reversing circuit breakers for reverse loops.  1 PSX-AR for turntable.  No signals operation is by train order only.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

jward

my current layout isn't up and running yet but i plan on using:

digitrax dcs50 (zephyr)
2 mrc tech 4 220 power packs used as jump throttles for now, to be replaced by home made throttle boxes with plugs for a crude form of walkaround control.
most switches hand throw.
power switch on the tail track of the wye (a reversing section) so i can use the switch motor contacts as an auto reverser.
wiring will be 18 guage wire, soldered to the rails.
layout will be wired for block control even though it will be dcc for ease in isolating problems without shutting down the whole layout, and in case i ever need to revert to dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WGL

EZ Command or Digitrax Zephyr with Bachmann's 5 amp booster.  Each of 3 concentric ovals has its own current feeder.  Manual operation of switches.  Each of 3 trains can have its own track.  I have run 5 trains at a time, but this eventually results in collisions.

Jim Banner

E-Z Command or Digitrax Zephyr with an MRC booster on the outdoor layout.  This layout is an oval with a couple of sidings and a branch.  I usually run two trains at a time and often manage to run one into the other when I spend too much time talking to visitors and not enough time running the railway.

Indoor, I run an H0 layout with a Digitrax DCS200.  It is presently divided into 4 blocks, each protected by a PM42 power manager.  I use Decoder Pro under Windows 98 on an old computer for programming on this layout but use the Zephyr, usually with a DT400R throttle to program in the workshop.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

I'm currently running an EZ-Command with some a couple of sidings that can be turned off and bachmann remote turnouts.

I have a Zephyr in the mail with the intention of eventually using the LocoNet for at least some computer control and some stationary decoders to handle turnouts.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Guilford Guy

Lenz Set 100, with an LH90 and LH100 for throttles.
Alex

jettrainfan

E-Z Command DCC Controller System or E-Z track DC speed controller.(I switch around)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account