News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remove Shell on GE 45 Ton Switcher?

Started by bobdat, June 20, 2009, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobdat

Thanks for any tips on how to remove the shell on my new GE 45 ton switcher in HO. I removed the couplers but the shell will not separate from the walkway like the directions show. Help......

bobdat

I asked how to remove the shell on my new 45 ton switcher - no reply from anyone at Bachmann!

Sales must be so good that nobody has time to answer a simple question.....

Well, I'm re-packing the loco and returning it for a refund.

I'll buy an Atlas or an Athearn or Proto product where they at least care enough to answer customer questions!!!

Bach Man..... you sure impressed me!

Yampa Bob

Hi Bob

If any member had actual experience with removing the shell, they would have commented. We are always eager to help, but we are all just volunteers, "guessing or speculating" is beyond our pay scale.  :D

As for the Bach-man, he may not know either unless he also had one apart.

You might call Bachmann service department, however they may not know the answer either. The lack of instructions is a big concern these days. I don't have the 45, but I do have a 44 ton, it has 2 screws in the bottom. Remove the screws and the shell lifts off. Of course your 45 may be different.

You obviously wanted the 45 ton, it is a very nice locomotive. Rather than return it why not try to figure it out? Then you can comment in this thread to help others. If this is the worst challenge you will face in model railroading, please consider yourself lucky, we've all "been there".  8)

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Not being an HO modeler, I've had no occasion to open one. The sample I display at shows remain in the displays that travel with the shows. I'll try to get one and take a look. Most questions like this are answered by someone who's done it before I even see them.
I'll see what I can find out.
Have fun,
the Bach-man

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Well, a little excavation turned up a sample from Springfield.
Besides removing the couplers (make sure to remove both the top and bottom of the coupler box) I removed the four small screws around the air tanks. The top came right off.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bobdat

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 23, 2009, 09:44:49 PM
Hi Bob

If any member had actual experience with removing the shell, they would have commented. We are always eager to help, but we are all just volunteers, "guessing or speculating" is beyond our pay scale.  :D

As for the Bach-man, he may not know either unless he also had one apart.

You might call Bachmann service department, however they may not know the answer either. The lack of instructions is a big concern these days. I don't have the 45, but I do have a 44 ton, it has 2 screws in the bottom. Remove the screws and the shell lifts off. Of course your 45 may be different.

You obviously wanted the 45 ton, it is a very nice locomotive. Rather than return it why not try to figure it out? Then you can comment in this thread to help others. If this is the worst challenge you will face in model railroading, please consider yourself lucky, we've all "been there".  8)

Regards.

Thank you for some very good advice.

bobdat

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 23, 2009, 11:03:07 PM
Dear Bob,
Well, a little excavation turned up a sample from Springfield.
Besides removing the couplers (make sure to remove both the top and bottom of the coupler box) I removed the four small screws around the air tanks. The top came right off.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thank you for the efforts! That works like a charm. The instruction sheet said only remove the couplers and the shell wouldn't budge. The screws were holding it.

Thanks again for the help!