News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout prototype and era

Started by pdlethbridge, June 23, 2009, 01:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrails

B&O branch in central W.Va. in the early 50's. 
Rusty

rogertra

Freelanced Great Eastern Railway.

Strictly set in 1958 when it comes to anything placed on GER.  I try hard to only have steam typically seen in Southern Quebec around that time but need to make some small compromises given what steam is available commercially.  Main exception are the three Spectrum 2-10-0s which have been modified so they (hopefully) look less 'Russian' and more Canadian.

I use kitbashed and modified steam using the CPR's practice as a guide, generally this involves moving bells and shortening tenders to try and achieve a famiily look  I also base my diesels on CPR practice but do not replace things such as step wells etc..

As I'm strict with my time period and what was typically seen in the area I model, you'll see no articulated steam, no 2-8-4s and no "odd ball" diesel manufacturers like CLC etc..

GER replaces most of the CPR and some CNR in southern Quebec and parts of southeastern Ontario and the Maritimes.

jward

freelanced alleghany railway, set around 1980.
the alleghany railway is a small class 1 railroad similar to the clinchfield or western maryland hauling vast amounts of coal, with a substantial amount of overhead freight as well. with limited space, i have chosen to model several branchlines in the cumberland, md area. but eventually when space permits i'd like to model a section of the mainline.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bill Baker

In another post I mentioned that I model the Rock Island as it ran through Little Rock in the early 1950s.  I use a DL109 [P1K]for passenger service which is replaced at times with an E-8 [P-2K] (both in Rocket livery) or a Budd RDC-3 [P1K].  The consist is comprised of a RPO car with 3 to 4 cars.  On freights I run a F-3 [Athearn] in the black and red livery or two RS-3s [Atlas] and a 4-8-2 [Spectrum]with any where from 10 to 15 cars of various types.

I also operate a fictitious railroad circa 1920s, named the Arkansas Central. It is comprised of 4-6-0s or 2-8-0s [Spectrums] pulling 3 to 4 Palace passenger cars or 3 to 4 heavy weights..  Freights consist of 2-8-0s [Spectrum] pulling mostly 36' box cars and wooden cabooses.  I also have a street car system running in a rounded off rectangle through my town.  For the early era I run a Riverossi (I think) street car and for the later era I run with a Peter Witt (Spectrum)

Bill

Daylight4449

i model railroad in the state new jersey such as nj transit, erie, nyow, nysw, lackawanna, and cnj. I have no particcular era.

CNE Runner

The Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR is based on a real line of the same name. I have chosen the fall of 1889 as my time period to allow an increased amount of movement in farm produce, milk and coal. The real N.D.& C. operated for twenty-five years before being absorbed into the Central New England shortly after the beginning of the 20th century. Sadly the C.N.E. was wholly owned by the New Haven which saw fit to tear up most of the tracks in 1938.

The N.D.& C. served as a connector line between Dutchess Junction (Beacon, NY) and Connecticut. Prior to the building of the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge, all east-west trains had to cross the Hudson River in New York City or Albany. The N.D.& C. ran a car ferry from Newburgh, NY to Dutchess Junction which drastically reduced the time and mileage freight had to travel to go into New England. At Dutchess Junction, cars could be transferred to the New York Central or continue to New England over the N.D.& C. tracks. In addition to a large yard in Dutchess Junction, another yard (and enginehouse) was located in Hopewell Junction, NY.

After the opening of the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge, and the building of numerous highways in the area, the revenues of the line fell and it was finally torn up. Currently only the tracks from Beacon, NY to Brewster, NY (via Hopewell Junction) are in place and are owned by Metro North...which does not operate trains over them. Plans are to restore the Hopewell Junction depot to house a small museum - although little progress has been done in this regard.

Anyone interested in this wonderful line should obtain a copy of Bernard L. Rudberg's excellent book Twenty-five Years on the N.D.& C. - available from Purple Mountain Press. This book details the N.D.& C. as well as the lines that preceded and followed it.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

The Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont is a fictitious railroad running from Gloucester Point, Virginia to St. Louis, Mo.  The modeled portion is the Valley sub of the Alleghany Division, running from Gordonsville, Va to Sugar Grove, WV.  These two, which are east and west staging, are real towns, as was Basic City, Va, now a part of Waynesboro.  The rest of the towns are named for my children and grandchildren except for Leesboro, which is a fictitious city from my novels The C&O has trackage rights  from Noah Junction to Sugar Grove.  Since diesel facilities are sparse in September/October 1957, the C&O is forced to bring steam out of reserve when using the VT&P shortcut. 
BTW GG, are you a devotee of Cthuluthu (sp)?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Nay, although I do enjoy a good science fiction novel.
Alex

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on June 23, 2009, 07:40:46 PM

Strictly set in 1958 when it comes to anything placed on GER.  I try hard to only have steam typically seen in Southern Quebec around that time but need to make some small compromises given what steam is available commercially.  Main exception are the three Spectrum 2-10-0s which have been modified so they (hopefully) look less 'Russian' and more Canadian.

I use kitbashed and modified steam using the CPR's practice as a guide, generally this involves moving bells and shortening tenders to try and achieve a famiily look  I also base my diesels on CPR practice but do not replace things such as step wells etc..

As I'm strict with my time period and what was typically seen in the area I model, you'll see no articulated steam, no 2-8-4s and no "odd ball" diesel manufacturers like CLC etc..

GER replaces most of the CPR and some CNR in southern Quebec and parts of southeastern Ontario and the Maritimes.

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_149/h_04429.gif

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_152/h_04621.gif

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_152/f_06520.gif

CPR decopod engines were quite a bit bigger than the Spectrum 2-10-2

Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 27, 2009, 12:16:11 AM
Quote from: rogertra on June 23, 2009, 07:40:46 PM

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_149/h_04429.gif

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_152/h_04621.gif

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2i/.visual/img_med/dir_152/f_06520.gif

CPR decopod engines were quite a bit bigger than the Spectrum 2-10-2

Yes, the CPR 2-100-s were large engines.

However,  on the GER the story is that the GER's 2-10-0s were specially built light axle loading locomotives for use on a lightly laid branch that services a paper mill.  Using a 2-10-0s provides more power than that provided by 4-6-0s in a locomotive that has a lighter axle loading than a 2-8-0.

jonathan

Roger,

Just visited the GER Photoalbum. Your backdrops and weathering are awesome!  Great job!  Would love to see that in person some day.

Jonathan

boomertom

Prototype: Clinchfield RR and C&O RY

Major industry : Coal

Minor industries: mine supplies, farm supplies, feed. misc.LCL shipments

ERA 1972 to 1982

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

OkieRick

Number 1 of 3 4x8 sections will be a livestock loading and trading goods stop in Northern Oklahoma on the hypothetical Cherokee Nation Rail - reporting mark CNL. (based on the true establishment of Hulah, OK as a railhead)

CNL serves all Northeastern Oklahoma and Southeastern-most Kansas and will connect with the MKT and Santa Fe lines that extend to points North, South, East and West.

The CNL serves you in comfortable passenger travel and  prompt reliable goods transportation throughout the NE Oklahoma area.  Our fastest steam movers ensure on-time delivery and pickup of your relatives as well as your goods and grain headed for the Port of Catoosa.

Life in Oklahoma in the 1920's has turned the corner in moving into the Modern age.  Timely schedules of travel and transport await you aboard any CNL line. We look forward to serving you.

CEO and Treasurer,
"Okie" Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

NewYorkCentralgirl

Considering my love of the Newyorkcentral, I model the system in up state new york in fall, during the era when the niagara's were the kings of the rails.  I currently am short on motive power due to most of my items being so out dated and destroyed from six year old me.  But I currently have an old 2-6-2 praire, and a bachmann niagara, gorgeous engine!  My railroad is still in the planning stages, but I hope to make it one to show off the steamers, and use the landscape of my area to my advantage, its an L shaped layout, should be a fun project.

FECfan

Me,
I just Freelance, as-a-matter-of-fact my layout has very little to do with the FEC, Its not even based in Florida, instead Aspen Colorado (please no comments on my layout), hence the need to base the name on the D&RGW, Denver, Vail, and Aspen Western.  Basically a modern American Tourist Railroad in Aspen, well it does have a bit to do with the FEC my Pacific is FEC, along with the J-class water car, but most of my equipment is Union Pacific, a Light Mountain, and Three Walthers Passenger cars.  I also have some other eqipment (Athearn, IHC, and Atlas).  But I think that a Tourist railroad gives me some freedom to have whatever roadname on my equipment I want.