News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brass Ho scale lightbulb style signals

Started by ATSF5700Bob, June 23, 2009, 04:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATSF5700Bob

I have been trying to find ho scale lightbulb signals made by ( I was advised by Mr. John Lynch at Bachmann that I could mention both the name and some of the sites I have been trying to purchase these items at) Silvine Models which went out of business in the mid to late 60's. I have tried all of the usual sites E-bay or ebay or however you want to spell it and others. I have tried hobby shops and swap meets to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular site or hobby shop that I could call or search on line for these signals?
           Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone can come up with.
                               ATSF5700Bob

rustyrails

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say lightbulb signals.  I assume that you are excluding semaphore signals, although they could be illuminated.  If this is what you have in mind

http://tinyurl.com/njtpcq

I would try NJ International at www.njinternational.com

Hope this helps,
Rusty

rustyrails

After thinking about this some more, I wonder if I really answered your question.  If you are looking for old signals that were manufactured by Silvine Models 40 years ago, I can't help you.   However, if you are looking for nice HO scale brass signals  then NJ International is a great place to start.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

jward

i would like to add to rusty's comments about nj international signals. they make 2 versions, the ones using light bulbs and the ones with led's......

my recommendation is to only use the led ones. bulbs burn out or lose their colouring over time. my grandfather kept various shades of nail polish around to re-colour the bulbs. and changing out a bulb is a tedious task at best. both problems are minimized with led's......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ATSF5700Bob

Many thanks to both Rusty Rails and jward on their suggestions.
Yes, I really am looking very hard for the old style Silvine HO scale ( although a friend who models Missouri Pacific ala Free-Mo Style says the Silvine signal bridges and two and three light signals are actually almost S scale) signals.
      Also, my thanks again to Rusty rails for the link to the site that he provided. I have quite a few NJ International style signals on the layout, along with some Kyoto ( Japanese or Korean manufactured? not really sure,) two and three light signals.
      Jward, thanks for the idea about using leds, but I have been using miniature colored light bulb signals for a long time and have far too many miniature bulb style signals to switch to leds, not to mention the expense of rewiring all of the signals and the relays that control them. Hope you both have a pleasant evening operating your layouts.
                           ATSF5700Bob