Rollers freezing up on passenger cars

Started by Ron Sims, April 16, 2009, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sims

The passenger cars that come with the Texas Special have roller problems. I oiled them like the instructions says, tried using Atlas conductive lube as well. They keep feezing up and do not want to roll. I have to use lighter fluid to free them up. I re- oil them and run them a while and the same process starts again. Any suggestions? These are only a few weeks old.
Ron

Len

I occasionally find the yoke is a bit too tight against the roller on cars right out of the box from all of the manufacturers. As the car runs friction heats the roller up and it expands enough to jam against the yoke and stop spinning. Dirt/dust buildup between the roller and yoke can also cause this.

Try gently spreading the yoke that holds the roller a small bit. Needle nose pliers help with this. There should be enough space on each side for the roller to move back and forth slightly.

Also, I have found electrical contact cleaner w/lubricant works well for cleaning the rollers and keeping them spinning. It doesn't attract and hold dust the way oil does.
You can get it at Radio Shack or the electrical section of most home centers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ron Sims

I used Atlas conductive lube on the rollers thinking it would be great for them. All it did was badly gum up the rollers to where they would not spin. I had to flush them out with alcohol and used WD-40 after that.  Be careful what you lube your rollers with.
Ron

Len

That's why I use contact cleaner w/lube and not oil. It doesn't attract and hold dirt and dust the way oil does.

If you use WD-40, be careful where the overspray goes. WD-40 can attack paint and plastics if not cleaned off immediately.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ron Sims

After 2 months I still have the sticking roller problem.  I have cleaned them out with electrical contact cleaner and tried oil, no oil, you name it. After about an hour they freeze right up again. All 3 cars do this at both rollers.
Anyone else have this problem?
Ron

CandO

Wow. Did you buy these brand new?
The only thing I ever use the roller pick-ups on my cars is Atlas Conducta-Lube. I get great results with this product. Sorry to here that it isn't working for you.
I have never had this gumming up problem.
I wonder why it keeps happening to you.

Is it possible that this lube is reacting with you track cleaner and that is what is gumming up? I would try a different brand just to see. It can't hurt.

Just so you know- the only track cleaner that I use is Model Power Track Cleaner.
You may want to try this to see

Joe Satnik

Dear Ron,

Use a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap between the side of the roller and the arm that the roller axle mounts to. 

Measure it:

1.) cold,
2.) after a half-hour running, and
3.) after an hour when it freezes up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeler_gauge

Let us know the results. 

Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Ron Sims

All the rollers have side to side play. The really odd thing is sometimes they freeze up after sitting overnight. Other times they freeze up after 20 minutes or less. I can use electrical contact spray to free them up and they roll well for a while but then freeze back up. I have never had a roller freeze up on anything else before. I don't get it. I have used Atlas conductive lube as well but the same thing happens. In fact, the problem started shortly after using this product. I no longer use it.
Ron

johntu

with some plastics oil or grease will affect the plastic The name of the oil that is made to be used on plastics is called Lubella it will not attact plastic also you can try automatic transmission fluid the one automobiles use type No.1

DominicMazoch

Trans Oil could affect paint jobs.  Use wth caution!