News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New cab for ten wheeler

Started by David Kilby, June 24, 2009, 12:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Kilby

Mr. Bach Man,

I have a 4-6-0 anniversary edition locomotive.  I hate the look of the three window cab and the smaller proportions (out of scale for 1:20.3).  I would like to change the cab.  Is it possible to order a cab from a K-27 or the 2-8-0 and modify it to fit my 4-6-0?  That may be easier than scratch building a new one or modifying the old one.  I don't follow a prototype, so I am free to do what I want that would look appropriate.  thanks   

altterrain

You can get a nice wood replacement from Banta - http://www.bantamodelworks.com/T2085.htm

-Brian
President of

David Kilby

I bought the Banta Cab to see how I liked it.  if I have to scratch build, I may use some of the parts.  Dimensionally, it is only slightly taller, but does fit the locomotive perfectly.  I do, however, want a more modern look of a steel cab.  Checking average dimensions of published locomotive drawings in the Gazette, it should definitely be taller and probably a little wider.  I believe the ten wheeler would be a much lines if it had a more scaled out cab in 1:20.  Thanks for your suggestion, David

Bruce Chandler

You could use a Consolidation Cab if you can find one.   I bought a wood kit from FH&PB (now out of business) and used it on mine when I converted it to 1:20.

It recently took a tumble from the highest point on my elevated track (about 3 feet)  so I'm rebuilding parts of it.

I'm almost done with a new tender and  I will be fabricating a new "steel" cab out of styrene.
Bruce

jpipkin

David,

Are you are aware that the cab is smaller because the 4-6-0 is 1:22.5 scale rather than 1:20.3?

Jim

the Bach-man

Dear David,
I'm sure the service department will be able to supply a new cab.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Barry BBT

David,

There are a couple of alternatives, the first is to order a Bachmann 2 window cab, it is defined as wood, but could be treated as metal.  I have done this many times.

The other is to remove the bar between the middle window (open) and the third window.  I used a piece of Plastruct angle to create a sill the full length of the window opening.  Also remove the third window "glass".

I have pics, but don't know how to post them here.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

David Kilby

Thanks guys. 

Although the ten wheeler was built as 1:22, everything is just a matter of scale.  I just don't think the prototype was very good looking to begin with.  Bruce's 1:20 scale cab shows how much better looking the locomotive is when it is modified.  Can't wait to see your finished project Bruce.

David

Bruce Chandler

Thanks, David.   Here's what she looked like before the fall:

I'll post some pictures when I complete it.   I'm going to start on the cab next.
Bruce

Bruce Chandler

I finally finished this today. 

There's a few more details at my web site:
http://www.jbrr.com/html/ten_wheeler.html
Bruce

Casey_Jones

Nice work Bruce,

Thanks for posting the pictures

joconnor

Bruce:
The 10Wheeler looks terrific.  Your coal load is great and brings out the tender detail.  My 10 Wheeler is the pride of the C&S stable.
Jim