News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc for On30?

Started by ncc1701, June 26, 2009, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncc1701

Does the spectrum on30 steam porter locomotive come as dcc ready, meaning that only a decoder is required for a plug-in connection?

I noticed that it was not listed as dcc equipped. Any assistance would be appreciated.

NCC-1701

jestor

Nope,  the little porter is not DCC ready or wired for DCC at all.   If you desire a small loco, I highly recommend the little inside frame 4-4-0. It is DDC equipped, and with it's tender pick up, runs very reliably; way better than any Porter.

mabloodhound

What Mike said above is correct, but if you're dead set on a Porter, there are numerous articles on the forums on how to add DCC to a Porter.   If you can handle some soldering and modifications then you can have a DCC Porter.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

railtwister

Star Trek fan,

Actually, a loco that comes with the decoder already installed and is about the same size as the Porter, and can still be found at a very reasonable price, is the little Davenport side-rod diesel switcher. I have several of them, and always enjoy running them when our local group sets up it's modules. The little 4-4-0 is also a fine loco, but it is a bit larger than the Porter. I would not be surprised in the future to see Bachmann release an upgraded Porter with DCC onboard, similar to what they did with the side-rod diesel shortly after it's initial release without DCC.

Regards,
Bill

Hamish K

The Porters are not in the 2009 catalogue. I presume that they will either be reintroduced in the not too distant future or a new small steam tank loco introduced. Given that there are many small, often industrially  themed ON30 layouts, and that small tank locos can be useful as switchers etc. for larger layouts, such a loco seems desirable for Bachmann's ON30 range.

Personally I would like a new small tank loco - I have both Porters and a different type would add variety - but reintroducing the Porters would be cheaper for Bachmann.

Either way I would expect a reintroduced Porter or a new replacement loco to come with DCC.

Perhaps there will be an announcement at the NMRA convention in a couple of weeks time?

Hamish