News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pics of my bench for what its worth

Started by lwmlwm44, July 11, 2009, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Well I finally figured out how to add a link to my new photobucket account.

The problem is the pics are rather small and don't know how to make them any larger.   I tried to view them full size on my computer before adding them to the album but when I go to open them they are automatically added to the album, again as the smaller size.

If anyone has any tips please let me know...........somewhat new at computer stuff.    The pics are from my picasso web site album but not for sure how to link to that site from here............seems everyone here uses photobucket.

Regarding my bench..........it has beena long learning process.   The original concept for the nolix had to be abandoned as to the layout as it was more of a maze over the bench than what I had figured.   The new nolix plan eliminated most of the ramps so there is more of a open view of the bench rather than looking thru metal rods and ramps.  The pics of the nolix are of the beginning of the old method and was as far as I got before I realized it wasn't a good approach.  This has been removed and the new ramps are now installed on the right leg...........will be posting pics of this later.

Thanks

Larry

CNE Runner

Larry - At first I didn't see the link to your Photobucket album and then I noticed it in your signature line. Nice photos. Photobucket.com allows you to change the size of your images when you import them from your home computer. There is a resizing option on a pull-down menu. I suggest you check with Yampa Bob as he is very knowledgeable in this area. I don't spend the time to take pictures and post them on Photobucket (although I definitely should). You can see some of my efforts at:

I really, really need to take some more recent pictures - as well as organize my Photobucket albums more logically.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Tim

Ray

Really well done,  Thanks for sharing.

I could spend hours picking up and setting out on your layout.

You should submit your layout to Carl Arendt.

Excellent scenery also.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

jonathan

Larry,

Thanks for sharing!  My favorite activity is exploring other layouts, when one is kind enough to share their photos.  Enjoyed it!

I have set up three different albums on my photobucket account.  One is for narrow bandwidth (small pics for dailups).  One is for larger photos so others can see more detail.  The last one is for me (rolling stock), although others can look if so inclined. 

Take a look if you like.  I'm no photographer, but it gives you an idea of what my layout looks like. 

I understand yours and where you're going with it, so mission accomplished.  Again, thanks for sharing.  Great work!

Regards,

Jonathan

lwmlwm44

Thanks Johnathan and Tim for your kind words................I know my bench is not of the quality of yours but am happy with it.    It has a long way to go yet.   This is my first attempt at building a permanent layout and at times I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew.    But I am having fun with it.    THe bench was built and re built a couple of times as I had to allow more width to handle the curves than I anticipated.   The nolix has been more than a headache..........................getting it to rise 26 in. from the bottom level to the top one.   Currrently I am at 9 in.......................yep still a lot to go.    I had hoped to use mostly flex trak but wasn't very good at laying it and had some derailment issues so switched to mostly Bachmann EZ track........................the long straight runs that are hidden in the mountains will be flex trak with the remaining track in view mostly EZ Trak.My rate of rise for the nolix varies from 1 in. for every 4 feet to 1 inch for every 3 feet........................so far my engines are all able to handle the incline pulling cars....................I haven't tried to pull a large no. of cars yet as I haven't gotten very many on hand.   Most of my old HO Cars have the hook couplers and the new DCC ones have the knuckle type\.   I have pulled 10 cars so far with the engines onthe incline with no troubles.......Am not really into long trains though so am happy being able to handle 10 cars.

I am wanting to keep some of the nolix in view......most modelers hide the helix or nolix in a mountain or elsewhere out of view.    But for the amount of work it is taking, I wanted it to be somewhat visible so went with the nolix concept rather a the traditional round helix style.   Besides I didn't have enough space in my area to hide a helix requiring at least a 22 in. radius circle.   My realestate is valuable and a bit limiited and doing this would have left not much room for straight runs and a yard.

Anyway, will see what I can do about enenlarging the pics they are to small to view properly I know. 

Take Care
Larry

jonathan

Larry,

Like you, this is my first permanent layout, first time learning to take photos of my layout (a hobby in itself), and first time gaining advice by chatting on a forum.  Some of the folks who have been on this forum a while have encouraged me to keep chatting it up, and never feel bad about asking questions or making mistakes... good advice indeed.  Sincerity goes farther than perfection every time.

Yampa Bob seems to be in the know on photobucket.  I do know before you select the photos to be downloaded, you need to select the size you want the photos.  I have gotten into the habit of selecting the large photos,  and resizing them if I want to attach them to a post on the forum.  I believe the forum will re-size it anyway, but better safe than sorry.

I have mixed flex, sectional, and EZ track all over the place.  I hate waste, so I used every inch of track I had from my gramp's old brass track to the EZ track  from my Acela set.  It all works well, if lain with care.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the nolix.  I chickened out on the whole concept of elevation and grade.

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Larry, thanks for the kind comments you left on my Photobucket album (I didn't know one could leave comments...go figure.). I think you are making excellent progress on your layout and should end up with something which you can be proud. Unfortunately I never seem to remember to use my camera...something that holds true for our vacations as well. The images featured in the album are early ones for either layout [Sweethaven Harbor and the N.D.& C.] and really don't do them justice. Because of continuing turnout problems, I elected to scrap the old Sweethaven Harbor and begin anew - with Peco track/turnouts. Arising, from the ashes of old, came the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR...a line that ran through my father's farm in Dutchess County, NY in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I do have to report that both of these efforts were of a fold up design and resided in our unheated, unair-conditioned garage. It took an inordinate amount of resolve to work/play on trains in freezing temperatures or blazing/humid heat. The N.D.& C. has been stripped down to the bare trackwork so it can be fed through a window and into our old guestroom. Ah...the ability to play with my trains in comfort!

Jonathan: I have viewed your Photobucket album several times and have to say it looks super. My favorite [biased] image is of the Inyo 4-4-0 that is absolutely beautiful...'love those old woodburners. Keep us informed of your progress.

Tim, Carl Arendt's website is my very favorite model railroad site (well, next to Bachmann's forum of course). His website is a virtual goldmine of information for us 'Shunting Freaks'. I only wish we lived closer together so we could combine our love of shunting puzzles (there seems to be few model railroaders in our part of Alabama - let alone 'Shunting Freaks'). I am currently researching Carl's website for a trackplan/puzzle to construct on the dashboard of our motorhome. It is possible that space constraints - when stored during travel - will restrict me to N-gauge.

If anyone is interested in Shunting Puzzles, check out my post at

With micro layouts and shunting (switching) puzzles; you no longer have an excuse to not have a layout that will keep you interested for hours. Thanks all and have an enjoyable week.
Ray

CNE Runner

Larry...a minute of your time please. What is a 'nolix'? I am familiar with a helix; but have not run across the term 'nolix'. You mention both in your post and got me intersted.

Thanks,
Ray

pdlethbridge

CNE Runner

OOOkaaa..... That sounds like a simple grade elevation. I assume that a 'nolix' is a piece of track that is elevated to run from one level of a layout to another - whilst a helix does the same thing although with a much smaller footprint.

I came upon the following website which seems to explain the concept to those of us who are conceptually challenged:

Ray

lwmlwm44

Good way of describing a helix  .......a slinky toy is a excellent way.

As others have explained, a nolix is basically stretching out a helix so there are more straight runs of track in the design.

I had started with a concept of a helix on my bench but didn't like it and started to stretch it out on the bench..........a friend of mine was the one who told me it was now a nolix.

Will try to figure out how to enlarge the pics before plosting on photo bucket.  As my bench progre4sses will be posting more pics.

If anyone wants me to send them a link to my album at picasson just email me and will send you one.     lwmlwm44@yahoo.com

Larry