News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP40 Surging downhill

Started by lambtonrob, July 09, 2009, 04:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lambtonrob

I've recently gotten back into model trains, not having anything to do with it since I was a kid. My Mum found a few of my original HO locos & rolling stock including a Bachmann CP Rail GP40 that I originally received in 1975. Even though it's close to 35 years old, it's still in excellent condition since it didn't suit my childhood requirements, ie. going flat out on full throttle. Now my speed requirements have mellowed with age, I'm finding the only way that this unit will go down any sort of grade without a surge, pause, surge, pause etc motion is to go flat out again. It does this on it's own, with no load & I'm sure it's done it since new. I've stripped it down several times & lubricated all moving parts with a light oil, then a light grease & finally a heavier grease with no improvement. Different power supplies using straight DC or pulsed DC make no difference. Another post on this site had a similar problem that was solved with the removal of some capacitors, but it was a modern DCC type, & mine has no caps to remove. I've seen a "Life Like" brand model that looks very similar internally but has flywheels & wondered if a Life Like motor would be compatible & the flywheels solve the problem. It's a good looking loco with heaps of power & grip up hill but the surging means it's nearly useless when it comes to pulling any load as they'll derail & pile up behind.
I was hoping someone may have some suggestions for a remedy or an upgrade that may fix an otherwise great (in my very limited experience)
locomotive.
Thanks heaps for taking the time to read my problem,  Robert G.  ??? ???

jward

do you intend on using dcc? if so, you can probably use a decoder with back emf that should eliminate the problem. i am assuming this unit has a metal frame and 8 wheel drive?

remoteoring and conversions like you asked about might be possible but would be alot of work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

This is a wormgear problem, and I don't think a flywheels will solve the problem.  The train, going down hill, wants to go faster than the motor is turning.  This was common in older units. 

Running Bear

It's common in newer units as well. I've had this problem with newer Athearn and Bachmann locos as well as a couple of 1970's vintage Atlas GP40's. The problem can usually be solved by inserting thin nylon thrust washers on the worm shaft so it can't move back and forth in it's housing.
Running Bear

lambtonrob

Its just as Ram says. It's the only loco I have with that worm gear style of mechanicals & the only loco with the problem. It wants to go faster & putting speed on it stops the surging. I've tried shimming anything & everything that shows some slack, mostly the fore & aft play of the motors drive shaft. Even the slightest play & it surges & when I've I shimmed all the play out it tends to lock up, requiring some quick forwarding & reversing to get it moving. I might have to persevere with Running Bear's suggestion & try to find the "sweet spot". Failing that, I'll just have to accept it as it's quirky nature, paint some GT stripes on it & just go fast!

jward

any time there is a locking up of the drive it is not good for the motor. you probably have too much shim in there. that's one reason i don't try to shim the worm gear.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA