News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum steamer packaging quirk

Started by Pacific Northern, July 08, 2009, 03:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I always keep an eye out for good deals on any 2-8-0 or 4-6-0 Spectrum steam engines.

Recently I found a 2-8-0 on e-bay and today it arrived. It is as advertised new old stock, it is DCC ready and lettered for the Baldwin Locomotive Works.

What surprised me was when I opened the package was its weight.  The foam insert is unlike anything I have seen. The foam is actually quite heavy and not very porous at all.  Looks like rubber and is quite heavy.

This is obviously a very old insert, I am so glad that Bachmann changed to a lighter more porous insert, the additional cost of postage would have been a waste of money.

Pacific Northern

Frisco

The older Spectrum steam locomotives came with this packing, it keeps everything just as safe, but I do have to agree that the newer foam is nicer, much nicer then the new plastic packeging*hint,hint,hint*

Pacific Northern

I recently sent for one of the Bachmann Berkshires, kept hearing good things about them but there were non available to actually look at in my town. The Berkshire arrived, carefully packaged in the new plastic vacuum formed box and during transit the bell had broken off from the mount.

The bell housing is actually broken so it will be hard to repair. I advised Bachmann service and got a note back but nothing else.

I will buy one of the detail parts kits with an appropriate bell to replace it. There is no doubt that the new plastic container is a poor second to the old foam insert, but I would assume the cost is less.  Even the Bachmann Plus used the foam insert.
Pacific Northern

Frisco

Frankly I'd be willing to spend another $5 to have it packeged nicely, and I doubt it would even cost that much more, as far as I know Bachmann's the only one doing this, really the only shortcomming of their new products.

Pacific Northern

I just ordered a Spectrum 4-6-0 with sound and I know that that engine now comes in the dreaded plastic vacuum package, I can only hope that the engine arrives in one piece - unlike the Berkshire.
Pacific Northern