To buy or not to buy a Spectrum Steam engine with Sound . Need advise.

Started by Robertj668, June 30, 2009, 06:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

My sons birthday is next week.  He will be turning six by the way. Anyway I want to get him a Steam with sound already installed.  I have done several installs already and I would like one to come factory installed sound. I am very pro Bachmann and I am looking to spend around 125 to 150 this time around. 

I am looking some online auctions for Bachmann and one other brand.  Another company has a 4th of July sale going on that's in my price range too.  But I would have to put DCC in it. I will run the engine on 22 and 18 if possible.

What I am looking for is peoples thoughts on what Steam engine with sound they like.

Again thanks in advance for the help.

Robert

Guilford Guy

Alex

Robertj668

GuilfordGuy
I have several Spectrum Engines and am happy with the way they are built.
Robert

DaveS

I have a Spectrum Consolidation with factory sound and it is a great looking, running and sounding loco. Also have a couple of other Spectrum locos I like very much too but wonder if they might be a little bit too delicate for a six year old. That seperately applied piping looks great but it is fragile.
Just a thought.
Dave S

Robertj668

Dave
I would agree that they could be delicate for a 6 yr old.  However he is very carefull with the J 4-8-4 and everything else too.  He doesn't like to run the trains at hi speed.  He like the realism of it all. I actually trust him more than some of my friends.  When he has company over they do not play with the trains without mom or dad.  The nice thing is our house has an open floor plan so the dining room err train room is easy to monitor the kids.  But I usually put away the delicate ones when I go away on a trip.

We actually won an auction tonight and got the SPECTRUM item number 84302 HO 2-10-0 Russian Decapod Locomotive - Santa Fe #2552 with Tsunami Sound System Factory Installed.   :D at a great price.  I cannot wait to give it to him so I uhh he can play with it!

Robert

Cooped

Robert

well happy birthday to your son. My son turns 5 tomorrow and is getting the Bachmann Gordon and coaches, Spencer and James. He already has Thomas and runs an old Lifelike diesel I had from a while ago. They say age 8 up, but he, like your son is quite gentle and certainly respectful of what he can and cannot touch around the wires. I'm not sure he's quite 'spectrum' ready yet, but a couple of years I'm sure he'll be fine. Every child is different. If your son is the gentle type then no reason not to let him (and you!) enjoy these wonderful models. The other gift you're giving is your time. Buying him something you'll enjoy together will give him some great memories.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

CNE Runner

I have two Spectrum American 4-4-0s and absolutely love them! These little locomotives are well built, run flawlessly, and sound great. Regarding sound: once you have a sound locomotive, it is tough going back to the silent era. I realize a roomful of sound-equipped locomotives - all running simultaneously - could drive one to distraction; but just listening to metal wheels clickity-clacking over rail joints tends to subtract something from the scene (my opinion only).

Your little guy sounds like a very responsible young man. I would be concerned that, developmentally, his eye-hand coordination has some 'growing' to do. Most youngsters are perfectly happy with a less expensive train set...allowing them to develop the physical/cognitive skills some a bit more expensive (read fragile) model might require.

Good luck to your growing new runner.
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Robertj668

Dan
Happy Birthday to your son! I love spending time with my son on the trains.  We also have Thomas, Gordon, & Toby.  He is very happy with my old engines that are from lifelike and such.  But we both love the sound.  And economically this was a good deal.

Ray
I agree that once you have an engine with sound especially steam it is difficult to go back. We pick up the engine either on Friday or Monday.  We can't wait!

Robert

sparkyjay31

My 7 year old has a Spectrum 2-8-0 with factory dcc and sound.  It's the best runner we have.  We both love it, love it, love it.  As long he is careful with the detailing you cannot go wrong.

Jay 
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Yampa Bob

Hehe, I've got you all beat. Last Christmas I bought my Great Grandson a Bachmann Yuletide Special, he was less than 6 months old at the time. Only problem is, he lives 800 miles from here, so Great Grandpa can't play choo-choo with him.

Typical question:  "Honey, can we get Junior a DCC with sound locomotive for HIS birthday?"  Typical answer:  "Yeah, right".  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Robertj668

Bob

Of course I will enjoy the engine as well!  Benefits of having a child with similar interests!

Robert

adari

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 30, 2009, 06:19:00 PM
If that other company is BLI, I'd choose Spectrum over BLI.
BLI is better. I would reccomend buying from factory direct trains.If you buy blueline they dont have dcc but they have sound. Here is a really good deal
http://factorydirecttrains.com/bluelineemdf7.aspx
100 dollars for a very detailed engine. I have a few of there engines. only 1 has broken out of the 15 I have. Very smooth runner. BLI makes great products. I like Bachmann spectrum but i like BLI more.

Robertj668

adari
Thanks for the info.  I think for my first Sound equipped Diesel will probably be a BLI. I want to give them a chance.
Robert

adari

Quote from: Robertj668 on July 04, 2009, 04:17:12 PM
adari
Thanks for the info.  I think for my first Sound equipped Diesel will probably be a BLI. I want to give them a chance.
Robert
Cool,
ow and they fixed my engine from them that broke quickly and it runs like a charm again. They also have a ton of other engines a t great prices
Adam

grumpy

Buy. Sound is terrific . The 2-8-0 are particularly good . If you really want impressive sound purchase a Challenger from BLI or a 4-8-4 .
Don