STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 21, 2019, 12:30:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  1:20.3 truck journal lid warning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1:20.3 truck journal lid warning  (Read 2113 times)
Kevin Strong

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

As much as I love the operating journal lids on the new trucks, be forewarned that groundcovers--especially thyme, veronica, and sedum--will reach out and open them up or pull them off. This seems to be more of a problem with the archbar trucks, as the lids are a bit looser than the ones on the hopper car.

I did manage to find three of the four that came off. Embarrassed

Later,

K

altterrain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »

Truck eating plants!?!   Shocked That's a new one!

-Brian

President of
traindude109

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »

Thanks for the warning. I have not had the problem with my flatcar yet. Luckily I don't have a lot of close track growing plants.

Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)
japasha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »

Kevin,

Pehaps we need an operating weed-whacker car for the garden.  I beleive Soprano Industries in New Jersey offers one.
r.cprmier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:41:39 PM »

Weed-whacker car?  Soprano Industries?  Joisey?  You Do know what this sounds like, don't you?

Rich

PS:  Any word on the K-27?

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
Tom Lapointe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 02:37:24 AM »

Thanks for the "heads-up" Shocked on this potential problem, Kevin!

I don't have ground-cover plants to contend with (my railroad's built elevated) Wink, but almost half my mainline runs OVER an existing box hedge (which provides some "ready-made scenery" Cheesy.  As soon as it starts to warm up here in MA (supposed to start this weekend, FINALLY!!! Angry), I'm going to have to keep close tabs on keeping the hedges trimmed back as soon as they begin to sprout (I've had sprouts grow completely across Shocked the track in a single night!

..so far at least, I haven't had any problems with the journal lids on the 3 Bachmann 1:20 freight cars I've picked up to date (2 of the hoppers, 1 of the box cars); but if you look to the right of the passenger train in the 1st photo, you can see a few sprouts peeking through some extra decking I've added in this area; it's a narrow stretch behind our barrel shed, very tough to reach with the hedge trimmers (unless I actually climb up on the track!).  A couple of weeks ago, these sprouts caught on the hopper doors when I happend to run them upgrade on the outside track (the same direction the "Connie"-powered freight is running) & caused a minor derailment Roll Eyes, so I think I'm going to have to "terminate" Angry them before they cause me more problems!   Wink                                Tom

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: