News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 truck journal lid warning

Started by Kevin Strong, April 02, 2007, 09:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

As much as I love the operating journal lids on the new trucks, be forewarned that groundcovers--especially thyme, veronica, and sedum--will reach out and open them up or pull them off. This seems to be more of a problem with the archbar trucks, as the lids are a bit looser than the ones on the hopper car.

I did manage to find three of the four that came off. :-[

Later,

K

altterrain

Truck eating plants!?!   :o That's a new one!

-Brian
President of

traindude109

Thanks for the warning. I have not had the problem with my flatcar yet. Luckily I don't have a lot of close track growing plants.
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

japasha

Kevin,

Pehaps we need an operating weed-whacker car for the garden.  I beleive Soprano Industries in New Jersey offers one.

r.cprmier

Weed-whacker car?  Soprano Industries?  Joisey?  You Do know what this sounds like, don't you?

Rich

PS:  Any word on the K-27?
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Tom Lapointe

Thanks for the "heads-up" :o on this potential problem, Kevin!

I don't have ground-cover plants to contend with (my railroad's built elevated) ;), but almost half my mainline runs OVER an existing box hedge (which provides some "ready-made scenery" :D.  As soon as it starts to warm up here in MA (supposed to start this weekend, FINALLY!!! >:(), I'm going to have to keep close tabs on keeping the hedges trimmed back as soon as they begin to sprout (I've had sprouts grow completely across :o the track in a single night!

..so far at least, I haven't had any problems with the journal lids on the 3 Bachmann 1:20 freight cars I've picked up to date (2 of the hoppers, 1 of the box cars); but if you look to the right of the passenger train in the 1st photo, you can see a few sprouts peeking through some extra decking I've added in this area; it's a narrow stretch behind our barrel shed, very tough to reach with the hedge trimmers (unless I actually climb up on the track!).  A couple of weeks ago, these sprouts caught on the hopper doors when I happend to run them upgrade on the outside track (the same direction the "Connie"-powered freight is running) & caused a minor derailment ::), so I think I'm going to have to "terminate" >:( them before they cause me more problems!   ;)                                Tom