News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SMOKE UNIT

Started by louie, July 01, 2009, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louie

CAN YOU PUT A SMOKE UNIT IN A On30 2-4-4. 

mabloodhound

Gosh Louie, I thought you would have got a reply to this.
I was also looking for an answer.
Maybe someone knows out there.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

the Bach-man

Dear Louie and Ma,
It can be done, but most modelers seem to be getting away from smoke due to the mess. Remember, the "smoke" is vaporized oil, and what gos up...
You will need a smoke unit thin enough to fit in the stack; the Walthers catalog will have a selection.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NarrowMinded

Try looking for a smoke tube style unit for a chimney or smoke stack on a building, but be aware they don't hold enough oil to last very long, and I am with the Bachmann the mess really is not worth it, also there is some health issues with the smoke that are very real but not widely discussed,

NM

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Pay close attention to what the Bach Man says when he mentions "mess".   All the oil used to produce "smoke" does not burn and is spit out the stack getting all over the engines,  cars,  and track making a maintenence nightmare.   Smoke units rarely produce any effect more than that of a smoldering cigarette in an ashtray.  If not installed correctly they have a nasty habit of attacking the plastic smoke stacks.    They are not worth the time and effort of installation.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

NarrowMinded

Hey I just finished trying something that worked better then any smoke unit I have, I stopped at the ice house that sells  dry ice I removed my smoke stack and sealed the  bottom, I then broke little chunks of dry ice and dropped them in the top A lite "Smoke" started coming out it wafted down around the stack looked neat  then I added a few drops of water and then the "SMOKE" really started better then any smoke unit, the real payoff comes when you start the loco in motion you get the smoke effect without the lingering bad crap in the air and there is NO mess and it lasted for about 10 minutes Far longer then most smoke units that would fit in the space  available. note it does not leave a trail of smoke just the appearance of smoke leaving the stack.

NM