News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New rail speed record

Started by gwfan, April 03, 2007, 08:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwfan

The TGV V150 has set a new rail speed record of 357 mph (that's MPH not kph)!
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

Seasaltchap

Just logged-in to report the probable event, from BBC News on PBS (Delayed).

The wheel diameters have been increased, and somehow 6000 volts features.

Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

ben_not_benny

That's really fast.

Is there anyone who's willing to model a TGV V150?

Seasaltchap

The 6000 volts was bumping up the voltage from 25KV to 31KV for more powerful 25,000 HP motors.

The roof shot of the pantograph is interesting to watch because that is where most of the problems of over heating are experienced and a lot of development has gone into shedding the effects of arcing.

TGV V150 = 150 metres/second.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

David(UK)

Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

r.cprmier

I am curious;
WHere does the 6,000 volts come in?  The line pressure (EMF)-on the NE corridor-used to be 11,000VAC single phase 25cycle (HZ), and they bumped it up with the new equipment, to somewhere around 25KV; but the motors, at least to my knowledge, are not rated at 6,000 volts.  What would be the logic behind a traction motor rated for that high a pressure, when they have 25+KV to draw from, rectify, step down, etc, considering what would have to be worked into a device/motor rated that high?  This based upon the obvious safer lower voltage (440-600V).

Most anything I am familiar with relating to overhead had employed motors rated at about 440VAC/DC-600VAC?DC; this of course, restricted to North American railroads.  I am not familiar with continental, or Asian equipment.

I can understand catenary construction and the theory supporting its operation, but can't for the life of me, understand why a motor in that application  would have to be rated that high.

Having been an electrician for about 40 years, and  having worked on equipment up to 2300VAC, I am familiar with the ramifications and considerations given to high-voltage equipment, thus my questions.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

modlerbob

I watched a program recently about their previous record run.  It takes 20 miles to stop from that speed safely.  Thats why they limit scheduled passenger service to around 200 mph and it still takes 5 miles to stop.
Bob DeWoody