News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can different trains be ran on one track

Started by silverhawk, July 04, 2009, 08:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverhawk

Hello I am pretty much a green horn on setting up my own train layout. But I have 4 different train sets (2) use's the flex track type and I have a Bachmann that runs on the e-z track and the last one runs on the lifelike power lock track. Is it possible for me to run all 4 sets on the flex track or would it cause me to burn up the train sets engine. I'm trying to figure out just what would be the best choice and like my grand father told me there are no stupid question but the ones that doesn't get asked. I have already sunk a lot of money into this for this one layout. So any and all help would be very grateful  Thanks to all who help.

rustyrails

The answer to your question is that you can run all your trains on one track and it probably wouldn't damage the power pack you were using.  However, that answer only begins to scratch the surface of what you want to know.  Please go to your local hobby shop and get a book on model railroading that includes a chapter on wiring.  Any of the Atlas track plan books have a good discussion on  wiring for cab control which lets you run two trains at once under separate control. DCC gives you totally independent control of your locomotives, but adds another level of complexity.   Kalmbach and Carstens both have excellent books that will give you a good introduction to model railroading.  Bachmann has a book that deals with using EZ Track that's very good.  If your Grand father wants to drop me an e-mail, my address is in my profile.  I'd be happy to answer specific questions.  Being an old guy, I speak grandfather pretty well.    ;D   Hope this helps.
Rusty

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Tylerf

What do you mean by flex track? I've never seen a train set with flex track as it requires securing the track permenantly and rail cutting. Do you mean sectional track?

grumpy

In my opinion you should use EZtrack . The lifelike track can be adapted to the ez track and so can flextrack . You will find the EZtrack easy to install . My whole layout is EZtrack . I have adapted a lot of other track in the form of structures ,such as bridges etc.. No problem
Don

jward

the short answer to your question is, yes they can all be run on any of those tracks. HO track is HO track. it is all designed for trains with dc motors and any dc motored locomotive will run on it. the only exception on track would be some european brands such as maerklin, which are designed for ac powered locomotives. the rails are not insulated from each other, and will cause a short. this track usually has a row of studs or a third rail in the center of the track.

that said, you probably don't want to run all your trains on the same track at the same time. setting up your railroad for independent control of your trains is a little more complicated, and i'd suggest reading any of the layout plan books published by atlas for a relatively simple way to wire your layout for multiple trains. these should be readily available at any hobby shop and will run you under $10.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ta152h0

If the transformer is hot to the touch after about twenty minutes, your electrical load is too high. And if the transformer has a thermal switch incorporated in the circuitry, it will cut out the power.