What do I need for a Point-to-Point layout?

Started by Commander-Dan, April 03, 2007, 02:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commander-Dan

Greetings,

It’s been a while since I was active in model railroading, but I do have 3 Bachmann G scale engines and several pieces of rolling stock that has been in my attic for 6 years or so now. 

That said, my wife and I recently moved into a new home, and I am looking to do an indoor point-to-point layout.  I simply want my train to travel in one direction, pause for a bit, and then reverse in the other direction.  Basically, I want it to go back and forth.

Can someone advise me as to what electronic items I need and what is involved in setting-up such a layout?

Many thanks!

Matthew Ginkel

Aristo-Craft makes an auto reversing unit http://www.aristocraft.com/catalog/track/images/ART-11090%20Reversing%20Unit.jpg .  Essentially you place the rearailers at the ends of your layout. THey are insulated in the middle so when the train completes the circuit the unit is tripped stopping the train for an adjustible time, then it reverses direction and returns power.

Nathan

The rerailers have diodes in them, you have to be sure they are 'aligned' properly.

Our club uses the Aristo-Craft unit at train shows.  It is a little touchy on the time setup.  Run full voltage into the unit and put a rheostat to control the speed after it.  We run ours on a four amp ART-5450, with 'spring switches' and a double crossover run two trains at a time.

Nathan

riny

In another thread I suggest trying a point-to-point unit sold by IronPenguin at: 
http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe/index.html
It's auto reverse unit (point-to-point, not a loop) has 2 versions - 1 amp for small scale (HO/N) and a 5 amp for large scale. No special track is need for it -- it works on any DC, 2-rail track. It comes pretty much ready to go, costs about $30, has an adjustable pause timer, and is fairly easy to install. (I'm using it on an On30 set & it works fine).
riny