News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N-Scale diesels

Started by Sklias, July 04, 2009, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sklias

I have an n-scale Dash8-40C engine that I just installed a DCC decoder, a TCS M1.  When I put it on the track after I programed it, it ran  kinda rough sort of stop and go.  At first I thought it was dirty wheels, and I proceeded to clean them.  The front truck was a little dirty and when I reversed the the engine to clean the rear truck there was no current going to the motor.  After looking everything I did, I checked the front truck pickups and found they were not making a good connection on the frame.  I had to bend the contacts side ways in order for them to make a good connection.  The engine ran fine after that.  I find that this is not as good pick up system.  Atlas and Kato systems seem to be a better way.  I wonder if Bachman will improve on it.  The detail on the Dsah8-40C is great, and I also have other Bachman n-sacle engines that run great.  The heavy Mountain with DCC on Board and the 44 tonner with DCC on board are outstanding.  The only other item of concern is the none functioning couplers.  What replacement couplers will fit the Mountain and the 44tonner.

Nick

johnTom

Replacement couplers. I am going to suggest MT (MICRO TRAINS) before they "MT" changed their Numbering system I would say immediately MT1015/1016's. However, since MT changed the numbering system I am not sure...

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

fieromike

A more popular coupler for the 44 tonner is to use M-T's 905 Z scale coupler.  It will work with their N-scale couplers, and the back wall of the coupler box can be removed to give a bit more clearance for the trucks.  Looks better too...

IIRC, the tender floor of the Mountain sits low, same as the 2-8-0, so it would take the 2004 offset coupler.

Mike