News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Vacuuming Rail

Started by Cody J, June 30, 2009, 01:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I run my trains on my floor and I use Bachmann EZ Track. Even though it is still elevated off of my floor it still gets hairs and stuff like that from the carpet on it making it hard for my trains to run and getting hair wrapped around the axle. I was wondering if I could use one of the attachments from my vacuum to vacuum the track to get all of the hair off without hurting the track.
Can I do this?

thanks,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ebtnut

It won't hurt the track, but if it isn't held down, the vacuum may suck the track off the floor.  I suggest using the small round brush attachment.

Cody J

CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

CNE Runner

As an ex collector and vendor of Lionel trains, I can't tell you the number of times I have spent hours removing carpet fibers from axles, motor shafts and other parts of locomotives. The danger lies in the metallic particles your locomotives can attract - particles you can't see until they cause big problems. In short, I'd rather you didn't run trains on carpeting. Is it possible to put a thin piece of cheap paneling under your tracks? I've seen a piece of slightly damaged paneling go for $5 at our local building supply...if your layout is stored under a bed the paneling would make it easier to slide the whole arrangement out of, and under, the bed.

Just a thought,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Stephen D. Richards

trainsrock,  Atlas has a Track Cleaning Car that has a built in vacuum.  I have a vacuum car and it works great!  Basically, you couple a locomotive and run it around the track and let the vacuum car do its thing.    Stephen

Stephen D. Richards

oh by the way.  I have EZ track and it is also on the floor....plus the cat!   Stephen

Jim Banner

If you are using command control , you might want to disconnect your command station and lift the decoder equipped locomotives off the tracks before vacuuming.  If the fast moving air entering the vacuum hose is dry, it can build up enough static electricity to damage electronics.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Stephen - Roger the EZ track; however it still uses electricity. An electrical current produces a magnetic field (see Faraday) so, while your track is off the carpet a little, it can still attract nasties. Regarding your cat: we have 3 cats and are forced to vacuum the most of the house everyday. Even the best vacuum cannot get all the fur...'guess where some of that will end up? I do, however, understand that you have paid for your trains with money you earned - so you are entitled to do what you will.

"Slow down Lucas...'looks like a herd of tumblefur ahead!"
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jim Banner

Magnetic field, yes.  But typically less than 1 amp turn.  And it exists only when the train (or something else) is drawing current.  And the magnetic field from one rail cancels the magnetic field from the other.  Not exactly the electromagnet for picking up scrap iron, even in the form of fine filings.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Stephen D. Richards

Ray, was trying to be a bit funny!  Good thing I don't work as a comedian!  lol  Anyway, My EZ track is not on carpet, it is hardwood and my cat only makes occassional visits inside the house.  Stil, I get hairs from her fur and about once a month go through the Locomotives that run the track on the floor and have to pick out the dust and hairs.  I am familiar with electrostatic build up but did not realize that any significant amount would build up from the rails.  Something to keep in mind though.  The vacuum car I use is from Germany and I have converted it to DCC.  Not a real powerful vacuum but works great for the track.

Jim, what kind of amperage would be need to effect the operation of the locomotives?  This vacuum car I have is pulled/pushed by another locomotive.  Hadn't considered anything like this.  Haven't noticed any problems yet either.          Stephen