Advice for a table at train show?

Started by Paul M., June 28, 2009, 09:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Hey guys,
I've been in the hobby for more than 6 years now, and thus have some extra things that just don't fit in with the theme of my layout. I've sold some of them on various forums, but also want to rent a table at a train show to sell more of them. This will be my first time to be a seller at a show rather than a buyer.
Do you have any advice for a new dealer?
-Paul

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

ALCOS4EVER

Keep it neat and simple. Make sure everything is visible. Clean doesn't hurt either. Price everything. People are more likely to look at something in their price range. They may not wait to ask you the price of an item if things get busy. It will also save you time not having to tell everyone your prices. On more expensive items like locomotives note any pluses like DCC or any defects like doesn't run. If you have lots of items refill empty spots as items sell. A full table is more interesting. As far as prices go if they are reasonable things will sell faster. Don't forget people can pay new prices anytime on the internet. The only exceptions would be custom or rare items. Lots of luck.

RAM

Get your request in early for a table.  Most train shows sell out early.  If you have locomotives it is good to have a test track.

rustyrails

A table cloth is a nice touch, too.  And make sure you've got plenty of change.
Rusty

r0bert

someone you know, trust and  knows a bit ab out trains, to stop by and keep an eye on things while you hit the head, grab a hot dog, or make a quick shopping pass, a wife will work, but may end up costing you more than you make.  ::)
Make sure they have your cel # so they can get ahold of you, if they need to.

CNE Runner

My wife and I vendor at several train shows and have done so for years. Lately, because of our traveling schedule, we have cut the number of shows attended to five or less. Selling, at a train show, is a wonderful way to meet people and spend a day completely immersed in the hobby (not to mention the dealer-to-dealer discounts on setup night).

The suggestions above are spot on.
Definitely have a tablecloth to hide all those boxes you used to cart your stock to the show...makes for a neater appearance.
Price things accordingly: in this economy you are not going to get much more than 25 to 40 cents on the dollar for used equipment.
Buy some tags with attached strings and label each with a stock number, item name and price. [When you sell an item, snip off the tag and save it for when you do an inventory check later...trust me you won't have time to keep track of things during the show. I have an MS Exel worksheet set up with our entire inventory so I can check how we did after the show.
Get someone to help you...customers do not like to stand around to make a purchase or ask a question.
Have an adequate amount of change on hand (keep this under the table and do not leave it unguarded).
Make a decision as to whether or not you will accept checks...we have NEVER been stuck with a bad check from a fellow model railroader.
Keep you stock fronted (arranged) neatly - fill in the blank spaces as your stock is sold. If at all possible, set up the night before. Every show we have ever sold at has security after-hours...good idea to cover your 'treasures' with a spare tablecloth overnight.
Be realistic about pricing: you go to shows for bargins...are your customers any different? Conversely, have a rock bottom price and don't go below it: I have been carrying a Lionel 224E with the proper tender because I will not go below a certain (low for the item) price...we keep setting up the locomotive at each show and someday someone will pay the price for this excellent item. (Have you noticed that I have mentioned 'pricing' several times before?)
Find out if there are chairs provided or bring your own...trust me you will need them by the afternoon.
Consider slipping a homemade business card in each sold box so customers can contact you about another (possibly unsold?) item they saw at the show.
Go to Sam's Club or Costco and purchase a supply of plastic bags. We have found that customers tend to buy more if they can carry their purchases easily.
Keep delicate/expensive stock near the back of your table - away from inquisitive little fingers. As my ex-legal beagle wife tells me the sign 'Lovely to look at; delightful to hold; but if you break it...then it is sold' is unenforceable and won't stand up in court. It is better for everyone if you take some precautions early - rather than experience agita later.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Paul M.

A new white vinyl drop cloth will suffice for a tablecloth, won't it?

-Paul
[

CNE Runner

Absolutely!! It will be better than the tattered blue cloths we use.

Ray

Paul M.

Great!
Does shoplifting seem to be an issue? I'll only have one table, so keeping an eye on things should be pretty easy.

How badly has the economy hurt your business?
I could see that it could potentially hurt quite a bit - but it could possibly also help your business., ie, "I don't have the money to buy the expensive new sound-equipped diesel at my local hobby shop, but I'll wait a couple months and pick up a few cheap analog locos at the area train show"
I would think it would hurt your business more than help it, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

-Paul
[

GlennW

Having a pal go with you cuts down the shoplifting opportunity.

If you have locos, have a test track so you can show everything runs. some shoes provide a track in the corner that becomes out of sight.

Check with the authorities to see how they handle sales tax.

for your first time, you may not want to handle credit cards. There may be equipment that would have connections with a laptop or cell phone.

CNE Runner

Actually shoplifting (yes, it does occur at train shows...more's the pity) hasn't been a problem. This is because, like Glenn suggested, we do shows together (my wife and I) and there is always someone with an eye on the stock. I would also suggest that you refrain from piling your stock too high. Many vendors use old milk crates to stack their offerings; this puts a barrier between you and the customer, and limits the scan you keep on the inventory.

Personally, we have not done one show yet that requires us to collect sales tax. Understand that this might be because of the locations we attend shows (AL, TN, GA, MS). I think Glenn is correct in saying that you should check with the show organizers early on as there will be forms to submit regarding the tax issue...just before the doors open is not the time to be filling out government paperwork (it is also not the time to be setting up your table).

As far as credit cards are concerned: unless you are one of the professional vendors; it just doesn't pay. The credit card machines are very expensive (you will pay a penalty if you submit a paper credit slip) and the credit card companies charge for the service (close to 3% + a batch fee)...wireless cc machines require a cellphone connection (another expense). Again, this is a worthwhile business expense to the large volume vendors - actually an income tax write off. I'm sure we have lost some good sales because we don't accept credit cards (a beautiful 19th century style 3-stall roundhouse comes to mind).

Glenn, you mention, in your post, about having a test track - then go on to say; "...some shoes provide a track in the corner that becomes out of sight." I don't understand what you mean by this...I can be rather obtuse at times.

Ray