Woodland Scenics Water Effects

Started by SteamGene, July 06, 2009, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Has anybody else used Water effects?  It seems like the Alexander Falls of Mickie's Run is a bit too much for one bottle.  It has a nice ripple effect, but is too transparent for the most part and the bed can be seen.  Any thoughts on painting it gloss white? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
Used in conjunction with their Realistic Water, I've had excellent results. I only do small white water areas, though; I've never tried a large waterfall.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Paul M.

They say that if you pour WS Realistic Water on a nonstick cooking sheet and wait for it to dry, once it has dried and you pop it off you'll have a nice waterfall. I haven't tried this, though, and can't vouch for how well it works.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

No - Realistic Water is poured directly on the surface.  Water Effects goes on the non-stick.  It does look good - but most of it is too transparent - to make the surface coverage I needed, it was too thin.  I get the disturbed effect of the waterfall, but not the white color of disturbed water. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lwmlwm44

For my waterfalls I use clear silicone caulking for tub and tile.   Running strips of it on a piece of waxed paper and then using a toothpick pull the toothpick thru the strands to kind of break them up a bit and pul the entire length of the fall.   I have found out the more strands you use and the thicker the water fall the finished result isn't as transparent and takes on a bit of a white effect.   Also If you prick the strands at the bottom of the fall you can make the splashing effect and some folks dry brush a bit of white paint on the water to get the white cap and foaming effect.

Larry

jsmvmd

Dear Gene,

I believe Harold Minkwitz described how to do rapids and waterfalls on his website. Have not been there in a while.

Saw a demo of the Woodland Scenics products at the Pittsburgh train show, Nov '06 or so.  Very nice products.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Terry Toenges

I haven't used the WS water stuff. Is it possible to mix food coloring or maybe "candy apple" transparent  type paint with it before pouring?
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

I'm wondering if the Woodland Scenics "water effects" isn't anything other than silicone calking in a smaller, more expensive package! :o
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Tylerf

Modelrailroader has done a few articles on water effects and they say to I believe dry brush white onto the dried ripples. In my expirience with the stuff, I like it a lot. It goes a long way with one bottle, mines not even done yet and I've done a ton of work with it.

Santa Fe buff

I think Woodland Scenics has a demonstration on their website.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer