Converting older Bachmann loco to knuckle couplers

Started by BestSnowman, July 07, 2009, 09:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I was at hobby lobby today looking around and found a pair of older Bachmann switchers hidden behind a newer 2-8-4 DCC locomotive. I'm guessing they have been sitting back there a long time based on the amount they are marked down for clearance.*

I found an chessie version on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-in-box-Bachmann-HO-scale-Chessie-System-Switcher_W0QQitemZ130317085538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item1e5780eb62&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 from what I can tell its the same switcher just the Santa Fe version.

I got to thinking they might be a fun challenge to convert to DCC and modify into something unique. My only problem is they have the old style couplers (not sure what they are called, not the hoop and hook kind). How difficult is it to upgrade these to knuckle coupler, how much difference is there between the mounting for these couplers and the knuckle couplers.

I'm also curious what the prototype is, from what I could see on the box there was no mention of what is.

*If they were really trying to clear them out they wouldn't have hidden them back there.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

i believe those are models of an old plymouth diesel. i forget the model. i don't think they were very good runners, even for their day. you might want to ask if you can see the parts drawing before you buy. that should give you an indication of what kind of drive it has without taking it apart. then you can determine if you think it's worth the trouble to convert to dcc and knuckle couplers.

if you are looking for a good running, unique, small switcher. try the emd model 40 put out by roundhouse several years back.
http://www.roundhousetrains.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND84096

it is already dcc ready with knuckle couplers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

That is a cool little switcher, I might have to add that to my future wish list.

My idea was that since they were rather cheap I would pick up both and connect them with a drawbar and repaint them into something unique.

If it were a LHS (rather than a hobby lobby) I could probably get them to let me open it to see the parts list, but since its locked in the air brush case and the manager appeared annoyed that he opened the case and I didn't buy anything out of it
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

CNE Runner

BestSnowman - a lot of those older diesels featured (what was then termed) 'Hi-F Drive'. Hi-F drive consisted of a shaft coming out of both ends of the motor that was connected to the axles with [are you ready for this?] rubber bands! As you can imagine the rubber bands broke frequently (the rubber bands used for dental braces replaced them perfectly) and usually slipped under much of a load. My first HO locomotive was the Athearn Lil' Hustler (a model of a Porter diesel switcher) that was a terrible runner. Jward is correct in advising you to look to a more modern product. Most of these older locomotives are not DCC friendly (or ready) having the motor grounded through the frame. That Roundhouse switcher looks like a nice, unique little unit.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

Hmm... I'm not sure I want to go down the rubber band road. I think I'll forget this project idea.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

hotrainlover

I have 2 of these older switchers, given to me by my Dad.  They are marginal runners.  I ended up cutting the lead wiring, and using them as  "Stand-by" units in the Yard.  The ground clearance for these units, were also a issue.

jward

that rubber band drive was used in the athearn hustler, i wasn't aware that bachmann or anybody else used it. it was truly the most horrible running locomotive i've ever come across. there was little or no speed control, it wouldn't pull much, and the bands would often break. the frame was rigid and because of that it had a tendency to pick switches and derail.

ernst made a gear kit for it that turned it into a halfway decent runner, but it was still too rigid for my taste. if there was a way for the frame to flex it would have been much better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Hi-F drive was indeed an Athearn only product.

That little Plymouth switcher came out in several model versions, even one equipped with machine guns.  Four wheels on a rigid frame meant there was usually only one wheel on one or the other rail at any given time.  Performance can be enhanced buy adding pickup shoes for improved electrical pickup.  You can further improve operation on DCC by installing a BEMF decoder, but don't expect miracles.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

Funny you saw that because at my hobby lobby they had a porter (newer run) hidden behind a bachmann 2-8-4 w/ dcc, it was marked down to like $20 last I saw.  I am also looking for an EMD model 40 critter by MDC/Roundhouse (the newer run that's actually made by Athearn). I also bought 13 pre-built ho buildings by model power and they all were $5 each (except for two huge ones were $10) and included a few people & lights, you can't beat that price...but it takes all the fun out of building them yourself.

BestSnowman

Quote from: simkon on August 01, 2009, 09:58:41 PM
Funny you saw that because at my hobby lobby they had a porter (newer run) hidden behind a bachmann 2-8-4 w/ dcc, it was marked down to like $20 last I saw.  I am also looking for an EMD model 40 critter by MDC/Roundhouse (the newer run that's actually made by Athearn). I also bought 13 pre-built ho buildings by model power and they all were $5 each (except for two huge ones were $10) and included a few people & lights, you can't beat that price...but it takes all the fun out of building them yourself.

Was the 2-8-4 a Pere Marquette? I wouldn't be suprised if it was even #1218. It seems that Hobby Lobby is pretty consistent in what they carry across stores. From what I have observed they almost always get the exact same items as replacement (it would be nice to get a little variety)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

simkon

how bout that it was the exact same one, you'd think they'd have more variety but no, what road were the porters? I'd bet they are the same too lol

CNE Runner

I mentioned this in my post above...beware of buying these small industrial switchers as all of the ones I have ever come in contact with are poor to marginal runners. As a general rule, the older the model - the worse it runs. If you absolutely have to have an ultra small switcher, you might want to consider the Trackmobile. This power unit comes in various road names and in two 'flavors' (DC or DCC). I have personally operated one and can say they run quietly and reliably. Most owners install a front coupler as the original model comes with a rear coupler only. Carl Arendt's website has several layouts that were designed for Trackmobiles and are worth seeing.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

simkon

Sorry, to have mislead you, I wouldn't buy one of those but I would buy a MDC EMD model 40 "critter"

BestSnowman

-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog