Pearl Harbor movie Loocomotive

Started by usher42, July 08, 2009, 12:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

What locomotive was shown in the movie pearl made in 2001

Joe Satnik

Dear Usher42,

From the Freedomtrain.org  website:

"Did you catch a glimpse of Santa Fe Locomotive #3751 in the movie "Pearl Harbor"? The scene with the big 4-8-4 steam locomotive was filmed at Los Angeles Union Station."

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

glennk28

Didn't see that movie--but at Pearl Harbor and the rest of Oahu most railroading was 3-foot gauge.   You might actually say that in Hawaii 3 foot was the standard gauge.  Mostly smaller locos, but they did have four ALCo Mikados that were copies of the Rio Grande K-28's--but burned oil and had the air pumps on the side.  gj

Frisco

Yes, almost all Hawaiiian railroads were 3 foot, the locomotive in the movie is 3751, you know Hollywood  ;).

JDLX

First off...don't go bashing Hollywood that quick.  Parts of the movie depicted the lives of the main characters prior to the war, and that is the part of the movie the trains showed up in.  I recall no hints of Hawaian railroading in the film.

I think Joe's right in that the #3751 had a cameo appearance in the movie.  The film crews also used the SP 4-6-0 (I think) that the Pacific Southwest Railroad Museum has at Campo, California.  It got more air time than the #3751 and actually showed up running at track speed a time or two. 

This being said...in one of the scenes a couple of the characters are seated in a coach as a train is pulling out of a major terminal, and about half of a modern passenger diesel is visible through their big picture window.  Hollywood ain't perfect after all. 

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

GN.2-6-8-0

Noticed on the trailer for Public Enemies a shot of Milwaukee Road 261
Rocky Lives

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on July 09, 2009, 10:09:30 AM
The reason the Public Enemies trailer shows the Milwaukee Road 261 is because it is in the movie. Only for a couple minutes, but it was still in the movie.

Michigan Railfan

This is one of my favorite movies. JDLX was right. The scenes with the train were not on Hawaii, but instead here in the lower 48 (can't remember exactly which state). Like JD said, no trains were shown on Hawaii. Just ships, cars and trucks  ;)

ryeguyisme

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on July 26, 2011, 12:27:26 PM
Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on July 09, 2009, 10:09:30 AM
The reason the Public Enemies trailer shows the Milwaukee Road 261 is because it is in the movie. Only for a couple minutes, but it was still in the movie.

I thought it was a UP FEF

glennk28

The Campo loco would be close--ex SP ng #1 (2nd)  went to the Nevada County Narrow Gauge as their #9, then on to the USNavy at Pearl Harbor.
gj

jbrock27

Posted by: Michigan Railfan    Posted on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:12 AM
Insert Quote
This is one of my favorite movies.

You're joking right?!?  This was one of the worst movies ever made, period.  You want a movie about Pearl Harbor?  Watch Tora! Tora! Tora!
Keep Calm and Carry On

r0gruth

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 12, 2014, 08:32:46 PM
Posted by: Michigan Railfan    Posted on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:12 AM
Insert Quote
This is one of my favorite movies.

You're joking right?!?  This was one of the worst movies ever made, period.  You want a movie about Pearl Harbor?  Watch Tora! Tora! Tora!

I agree.Do a little research.
Roger

Desertdweller

I thought "Pearl Harbor" was a very entertaining movie.  It's main problem is that it was promoted as an historical film, which it certainly wasn't.

Lots of things were historically incorrect (too many to list here).  But, unless you went to the movie to get educated about an historical event (and who would), there was a lot of good entertainment in the movie.

After all, would you go to "1941" to learn historical facts about the US entry into WWII?

Les

Doneldon

Quote from: Desertdweller on July 16, 2014, 09:31:10 PM
After all, would you go to "1941" to learn historical facts about the US entry into WWII?Les

Les-

I agree that Pearl Harbor was a fun film and I'm glad I saw it. I must, however, add that I wouldn't see 1941
under any circumstances. I saw part of it once and decided it was just too awful to continue. I usually like stupid movies
but 1941 was outside of my humor appreciation quotient.
                                                                                                  -- D

jbrock27

After all, would you go to "1941" to learn historical facts about the US entry into WWII?

Les

LOL!  No, Les I would not, as "1941" was billed as a comedy ::)  "Pearl Harbor" was billed as a drama.  I, like Doc have never bothered to watch "1941" in it's entirety.  I guess what you know, or don't know, can influence what someone values as "entertainment", particularly when it comes to a movie about a historical event.  For someone to call "Pearl Harbor" one of their favorite movies like Michigan Railfan did??-Poor taste in movies in my view.  It was awful, no matter how you want to slice it and I stick to my post, sir, yes sir!

Now, for a universally accepted awful movie that I found entertaining, I pick "Armageddon" ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On