News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

fly fishing in Mickie's Run

Started by SteamGene, July 08, 2009, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm finishing up the scenery for the Mickie's Run section.  It will include two or three fly fishermen from Preiser.  The water is by Woodland Scenics so you can see the "run bed".  You fishermen - should I cut the legs off so they appear to actually be in the water?  Three cut at different heights would suggest differences in depth of the water.  Would the legs be visible under water?
(For those of you not familiar, a run is a Virginia term for a moving body of water smaller than a rvier, as in "Bull Run."  It's a common term in Northern Virginia and in the Shenandoah Valley.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

Place the fishermen on the run before putting in the water. Make sure they are using the appropriate waders. Are your fishermen using dry flies, wet flies or nymphs? Will they have room for a full cast or will they be using a roll cast? Are they using orvis equipment? Very important questions for the avid modeler or fisherman.

SteamGene

Water is already poured.  I'm not a fly fisherman, but I can ask my friend, a classmate from military school who is a fly fisherman - apparently a good one.  Better than as a student - he got me in trouble while reading during study hall our first year.  <g>
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

boomertom

Gene,

As the water is already poured, I don't think you have any choice but to cut the legs.

Where you cut the legs depends on whether the fishermen are wearing hip boots - shallow water - or chest waders - deeper water.

Hope they picked a day close to stocking.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

pdlethbridge

SteamGene

In any event, the poured "water" is no more than 1/16th of an inch.  I'll make sure that I cut them low enough that they don't get water in their waders. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat