News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Polyfill

Started by Signalman, August 03, 2009, 06:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signalman

Hi everyone. Would anyone know how I can dye green, the fibre, I think it is called poly fibre, that is used in some of those cheap pillows, and is also used in stuffing toys and cushions.

I have 4 old pillows, plus a 1kg bag of this fibre. I want to dye it green to use as tree foliage, bushes, etc around my layout.

Thanks for your help.

Col.   ;D

Bill Baker

Signalman,
At one time there was a fabric dye available called "Dye Rite" or something like that.  It was used to change the color of clothing.  I don't know if it's still available or not because I haven't seen it in years. Perhaps you could check at a Wal Mart or some "big box" store down under to see if there is any available.

The trouble with the dye is that you would have to get a large pot of water boiling, add some white vinegar (to set the dye) and add the dye itself.  Putting your poly fibre through that process would undoubtedly change the texture and I'm afraid it would not look as realistic as you imagine.  Also the color would be of one shade or hue of green and not look very realistic.

I would opt for some Woodland Scenics clump bushes or foliage in various shades of green and apply it with some white glue.  The white glue like Elmers dries clear.
Bill

CNE Runner

Col - I would definitely follow Bill's advice and use proper scenic materials. These materials can be had from Scenic Express or Woodland Scenics (among others) and do a great job of replicating various scenic elements (trees are only one element). I remember the old days when we used to gather some wild lichen, heat it in a glycol bath, possibly dye it and then glue it on the layout...whew! Today's products are largely synthetic and are impervious to changes in humidity and temperature. Trust me, you will come out ahead in the long run.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jerryl

You can still buy RIT dye in our area, I saw it at TARGET.   It is a messy job,but if you need a lot & you already have the polly, it's the cheapest way to go.
  I don't think the dye will change the texture because it's a synthetic fiber & not cotton or wool.  Good Luck... Jerry

Mike

Go to Michael's or some other arts & crafts store and get dye for tyedying. The colors are brighter and will set better.- Mike

Tylerf

Woodland scenics sell poly fiber pre dyed green and some what compressed. It's cheap and it can be streached out a fair ways so it goes far. It can then be sprayed with diluted white glue and sprinkle on assorted colors of ground foam. This stuff is great for large bushes all the way to tree foliage. I'd say it's much better than going through the hassel of using dyes and pillows.