News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rail code

Started by robman, July 22, 2009, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi all from over here. I am thinking very seriously of changing from HO to 0n30 but need a bit of advice regarding track. As most modelers in HO I use code 100 but what would be the most appropriate in 0n30. My idea is to model a small coal and timber line with a bit of passenger traffic set sometime in the 1930's or so. I don't want to go to the expense of dedicated 0n30 track just to get the correct tie spacing as most of them would be partially or wholey buried anyway. My thoughts are more to removing every second tie (a test on an old piece of track looked ok) although switches (points) could pose a problem. What about rail code? Should I go code 100 or 83? Sorry I'm so long winded but I just need a bit of advice before the plunge. Cheers Rob
Modeling over there over here

ebtbob

Hi Robman,

I have an On30 railroad in the building stages and I use code 100 track.    I use the On30 flex track from Micro Engineering as it has more of a U.S. style tie length and spacing.     All my turnouts are Peco HO scale turnouts with most of the plastic ties cut off and the turn out is then remounted on wood ties and spiked down.    There are nice turnouts available my Litco that were not available when I started or I would have used theirs all along.    No matter which way you go,  turnouts will average about @20 or up unless you handlay your own turnouts.  Here is a pic of one of my turnouts made from a Peco turnout

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Linzthom

Hi fellow Kiwi. For track why not have a look at On Line Models Kensey sleepering. I'm using quite a lot of that along with cheap flexi to supply the rail. Mind you, Woods Works up in Whangarei has lots of rail as well.

Lindsay T
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

mabloodhound

Harold Minkiwitz used Model Power's code 83 flex track as it came close enough to 'looking' correct.
Do not remove any ties!   
As you said, many will be buried and the hassle of cutting out ties is not worth it.
Sad to say this, but Harold's Pacific coast airline rr website has been taken down.   Maybe someone has a copy of his article on using HO track for On30.
Plus it is cheaper to use the HO!
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ebtnut

Just as a frame of reference, Code 100 rail is about 85 - 90 lb. rail in O scale.  This is generally a bit heavy for industrial/logging lines.  Code 83 is about 65 lb., which is more suitable for this purpose.  Some folks have even gone to Code 70, which is about 35-40 lb. rail - real light stuff, but suitable for light tram lines. 

jestor

I use plain old Atlas code 100 track and #4 custom line turnouts. Everything Bachmann makes in ON-30 works fine on regular HO track. The "look" is up to you.  It's interesting that Harold hand laid "narrow gauge" track, then took it up and replaced it with HO track because he liked the "look" of the HO track better.  Go figure. 

mabloodhound

I have the article HM wrote on using HO track, in PDF format but cannot attach it here because it is 338KB.   I will send it to you if you want to give me your e-mail address.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security