Question about buying New stock/Older Generation Spectrum Engines.

Started by Robertj668, July 14, 2009, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi again
I say on a popular auction site a bunch of "New"/"Old" stock Spectrum Engines.  The  are starting under 20.  They do not have DCC but I would install that later. But I am curious on how they compare to the newer generation spectrum's that I love in terms of quality.

Thanks for the help  everyone.

Robert

Jim Banner

Depending on their age, "new old stock" locomotives may be a bit harder to install DCC decoders in because they are not plug-n-play.  If there is a difference in running quality, I have not noticed it.  If the price is right, go for it.  But don't be surprised if they go for more than what you would pay for a new/new stock locomotive.

One question you did not ask concerns warranty.  If the seller is a genuine Bachmann dealer, then the warranty should still apply.  If not, then the warranty would not apply, even if they were new/new stock.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

I am sure that depends on the locomotive.  Some might be better, if they have a five pole motor instead of the three pole.  On the other hand the first 44 tonner had two motors.  What locomotive was it?

Robertj668

Jim
Some places offer warranty some do not mention it

RAM
This is the one I was looking at
Bachmann Spectrum HO GE Dash 8-40CW SF War Bonnet #838

Robert

Jim Banner

Robert, I agree, particularly if by "places" you mean hobby shops and the like.

But on "a popular auction site"," which I interpret as eBay, the people who are bona fide dealers and who's products come with manufacturer's warranty are usually proud to say so.  The people who cannot offer warranty rarely mention it.  Fortunately, all it takes is an email.  If you use the 'question to the seller' feature, the email and its answer is handled through eBay and stays on their files for some time (3 months??)  That makes it very risky for a seller to say his item is covered by warranty if in fact it is not.

As a buyer, you are safer to buy from a dealer with an eBay score of 75,000 than from Joe Schmaltz with a score of 3, even though both may claim to offer warranty.  If Mr. Schmaltz gets caught out on false claims, he just closes his account and starts up again under a new name.

Jim

NOTE: 'Joe Schmaltz' is not intended to refer to any real person, living or dead.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

Jim

Thanks for the advice.  I passed on the auction and Hobby shop offers for now. But every one and a while I will see an auction that has what I want and now I have the knowledge on how to buy with confidence.

Robert