News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Spectrum Steamer Release Announced

Started by Pacific Northern, July 09, 2009, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Why is it I have to go to the Model Railroaders web site to hear about the new Spectrum steamer?

Perhaps it is because it is a re-release?

A 2-6-6-2
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
Nope, it's a different 2-6-6-2. It has a different cab and details.
MR was supposed to hold the announcement until tomorrow, to coincide with thhe  opening of the NMRA National Train Show.
There is a link to download all the announcements, with pictures, on the home page.
Enjoy!
the Bach-man

rogertra

Not A N O T H E R articulated?    :(

Haven't there been enough lately?

What about a more useful loco, like a 2-6-0?  Something many of us have been asking for for the past couple of years.  I don't recall seeing many, if any requests for yet another articulated.

Ah well, we can only live in hope.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on July 10, 2009, 03:49:41 AM
Not A N O T H E R articulated?    :(

Haven't there been enough lately?

What about a more useful loco, like a 2-6-0?  Something many of us have been asking for for the past couple of years.  I don't recall seeing many, if any requests for yet another articulated.

Ah well, we can only live in hope.
Roger
I saw your posting in the other thread and wondered how you would take the news.
I am sure that Bachmann does have  some small steamers in the to-do-list.
Pacific Northern

Stephen D. Richards

You can please some of the people some of the time  but you can;t please all the people all the time.   ;D  I would love to see Bachmann manufacture a Spectrum 2-6-6-6 with sound.  I have a Riva but would love to see an Alegheny.  Of course a really detailed 2-6-0 and 0-8-8-0 would be just as nice.   Stephen

Rashputin

I think adding the H4 is a great idea whether there are other 2-6-6-2 engines available or not.  It takes note of the differences in the USRA standard and the engines of a RR that used huge numbers of the type.  In addition, they tool for the cab, details, and maybe a new tender, and there you have it without redesigning a new mechanism.  This leaves more time and money available for new engines not in their line up and brings in an increased return on their original 2-6-6-2 investment.

Being able to model multiple notable engines on a single chassis with detail changes and perhaps some boiler or cab changes encourages them to look around and do the same elsewhere in their line with their mechanisms like the 2-8-0, 4-8-2, etc., etc.   I feel sure they're planning other smaller engines, and when they can refine an existing model to the extent they have the H4 from their USRA 2-6-6-2 it's a smart move that I don't as doing a bit of harm to the wishlist folks may have for other things.  In all likelyhood, it makes other things more likely since it increases the returns on each wheel arrangement.  I even suspect (but maybe I'm just an optimist) that the 2-8-0 will be replaced in the Spectrum line with another engine about that size and maybe even of that type with various detail differences as some here would like to see.

Regards

SteamGene

I'm delighted that Bachmann chose to produce a C&O H-4.  this will give me: H-4, H-5, H-6, & H-8.  While the H-4/6 were nearly identical and very similar to the H-5, as mentioned there are some differences.  The C&O never shopped the H-5 to make it look more C&O like they did the J-2.  They really didn't care for the H-5, probably because it was a nice engine and they didn't like the idea that the Yankee gov'ment could produce a loco that good.  (Now why they like the J-2, I don't know.) 
I will agree with Roger - some smaller locos are needed.  Of course, I'd love a K-3 or an F-19!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frisco

It's a great looking locomotive! About 700 miles to far east for me, but I may end up getting one any-way, after all you can never have to many good lookin' locomotives! ;D

boomertom

Quote from: SteamGene on July 16, 2009, 06:44:32 PM
.  The C&O never shopped the H-5 to make it look more C&O like they did the J-2.   (Now why they like the J-2, I don't know.) 
IGene

The J-1  4-8-2's was the original locomotive of this type. The J-2 although a USRA design I suspect had more of a family feel than the H-5.

The "Flying Pumps" originated on the H-7 2-8-8-2 due to clearance requirements of the various tunnels. This was soon continued on Mikes and Pacifics as well as the J-2 rebuild.

I agree that a F-16 or 17 with or without sound would be a nice addition.
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

SteamGene

Tom,
The H-5 came with flying pumps, I believe.  It's close enough in dimensions to the H-4/H-6 that the COHS suggested putting the 16V behind it to imitate the H-4/H-6. 
In other words, the H-5 has about the same relation to the H-4/H-6 as the J-2 has with the J-1. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"